Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Weeping carbs

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

DogsbolloxofZ1B
Hardcore
Hardcore

#1 PostAuthor: DogsbolloxofZ1B » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:10 pm

Just rebuilt some carbs for a mate, set the float heights & all that but on several overnight soak tests there is evidence of fuel on the carb bowls.I've replaced the gaskets too. Anybody come across a fuel resistant sealant that remains flexible?
I've sent Loctite a request for info as they have a huge range of products.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#2 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:32 pm

If float heights are the right then fuel level should be below top of bowl joint, so shouldn't leak. The leak is probably due to fuel leaking past float needles. The bowl gaskets need to be nice & clean, no bits of ****e on em, both sides or they will leak. Fuel tap may be weeping. Was bike on side stand or main?

DogsbolloxofZ1B
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: DogsbolloxofZ1B » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:18 pm

All carb float heights set-up using Kawasaki tool as they should be and every possible surface is clean with new gaskets. I left a head of fuel in the line to each bank simulating the tank and left over night and still have evidence of fuel on the bowl joint... Can't quiet figure how this comes about unless as you say the needle valve is letting by over time, come to think of it it must be as the head of fuel had dropped.

Rich
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Rich » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:18 am

Turn the fuel off when not in use.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#5 PostAuthor: Pigford » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:51 pm

This might not be the best way, but I usually turn the tap off a few hundred yards before I get home so as to run the fuel down a bit, to ensure it don't drip. The missus goes mad if the house smells of petrol! Or just leave idling with tap off until she starts to splutter, the bike, not the missus!!!!

bunnysZ
Granny Magnet

#6 PostAuthor: bunnysZ » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:38 pm

always turn off the petrol aswell incase it gets stolen , and hopefully when it stops and they don,t realise petrol is off.

steve bowdler
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#7 PostAuthor: steve bowdler » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:52 pm

pigford I do the same though the house still smells of hot engine for a while,helps that the wife and kids like the smell too

steve bowdler
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#8 PostAuthor: steve bowdler » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:52 pm

pigford I do the same though the house still smells of hot engine for a while,helps that the wife and kids like the smell too

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:27 pm

I've had this problem nearly every time i've fitted a new set of float bowl gaskets(especially with pattern gaskets) or recommissioned a set of dry carbs. Seems the dry gaskets act as a wick, soaking up the fuel and weeping it out to the outside. Eventually the gaskets seem to seal themselves after a few days or weeks and the leaking stops.

Steve R
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#10 PostAuthor: Steve R » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:19 pm

Pigford,
I think thats a good idea switching the fuel off until carbs run dry, particularly if you are not going to use the bIke for a while cos it stops he fuel evaporating and leaving a residue or varnish in carbs, something that seems a problem with modern fuels.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#11 PostAuthor: Pigford » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:11 pm

The main reason is I'm a tight wad..... would cry if I saw wasted petrol on the garage floor.... If anyone does the "turn fuel off on way home lark..." don't cane it, or the weakened mixture may damage engine, in extreme cases. Had to say that, to avoid potential leagal action, in this suing culture, day and age!

hanskloss
100Club
100Club

#12 PostAuthor: hanskloss » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:12 pm

I have used Loctite black silicone sealant, don't have the number with me but can check ,it's high temp and oil resistant, doesn't say anything about petrol but I used it couple of times on different carbs and it works fine, I got a set of pattern gaskets once and they were crap,leaking all round on the move, possibly they would seal after a while but I didn't fancy to ride with leaking carbs + all that smell in the garage, got rid of these , put back the old ones with a very thin film of silicone on both sides , left overnight and problem gone. If it leaks when parked it's the float valves

Return to “Bike Help”