Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Rusty Tank

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Rusty Tank

#31 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:41 pm

Skid Mark wrote:
ADRIAN H wrote:
Skid Mark wrote:Thanks All,
Just to be clear, it seems most of you don't put anything in the tank to seal, at least not if you are going to fill it?
P

Never put a liner in a fuel tank, get the tank repaired (pin holes welded if needed. As you will end up removing it, which is a world of pain, say this having just removed POR15 liner from my Z1000 tank.

Thanks for the clarification Adrian, Is there anything we can do to help keep rust at bay once the tank is back on the bike. Keep topped up, put additive in petrol, drain tank in winter and coat with 2T?? :?:

I always put in Ethomix from Frost restoration every time I fill up which is a fuel stabiliser, even though I fill up with ESSO supreme (which is ethanol free) and always keep tank full. That is all I do.
When you clean the tank out, I always put 2 stroke oil in to stop from rusting until I can fill it up. I know someone who rinse his tanks with diesel to stop flash rust - but as I don’t have a diesel car I have never done this.
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

pertonpc
ZedHead
ZedHead

#32 PostAuthor: pertonpc » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:19 pm

I cleaned tank rust with Proscale 650 from Walsall Chemical Co.

It is a concentrate that you can dilute with water. Excellent results.

They are on tel no. 01902 632617
address -
Spring Lane Industrial Estate
Spring Lane
Willenhall
West Midlands
WV12 4HW

Proscale 650
Proscale 650 has been developed for the efficient removal of rust and oxidisation from a large variety of ferrous automotive components and its versatility means it can be effectively used in immersion, immersion-agitation and ultrasonic systems. Its non corrosive nature, which derives from citric and phosphoric acids, makes it a user-friendly, low-hazard product that provides exceptional, quick results when used at room temperature and can even be heated to 70oC. The concentration can be adjusted from 5% w/w right up to 20% w/w depending upon the severity of rust oxidisation present.
Z1-R D1, Z650 B2, Z1-B & ZRX 1200 A1P Catch 'em if you can at www.Zedrider.co.uk

Blackseven
100Club
100Club

#33 PostAuthor: Blackseven » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:16 pm

Deox C works perfectly, leaves it bright and shiny inside and doesn't harm paint.

ted1r
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#34 PostAuthor: ted1r » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:09 pm

What He said DEOX C is the dog s big one used it dozens of times

Ted
"Work this is why I did it"

KE250
KZ1200
Puch Maxi
Be careful with Pensions :e