Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Rusty Tank

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

RALPHARAMA
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

Rusty Tank

#1 PostAuthor: RALPHARAMA » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:25 am

No Jimmock this isn't rhyming slang :shock:

The Beast (Z13) has a rusty tank (inside). This is causing fuelling issues

I hate fucking around with things like this and this bike is currently my weapon of choice, so I'm not keen on taking her off the road for any length of time.

What methods have people tried and what system seems to cause the least amount of pain and grief? I don't want to paint the tank any time soon, but want it clean and sealed.
Ralph Ferrand
Z1000A1 (1977), Godier Genoud Z1300A5 (1983), Z900A4 Stock (1976), Z900A4 Special (project), GPZ1100 Unitrak (1983), ZRX1200R (2004) DT175MX (1981).

http://www.bikerstoolbox.co.uk

Don't be caught out http://www.dhlparcels.info/

Keefleaf
ZedHead
ZedHead

#2 PostAuthor: Keefleaf » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:55 am

Bit long winded but...nuts'n'bolts in side tank,wrap tank in carpet/quilt.
Place in cement mixer,leave turning for 30mins.Take out,turn round and on again for another 30mins. Empty and flush with hose pipe.
Get a battery charger and some Soda crystals.fill tank with water and crystals.
5gallons,5 heaped table spoons of crystals.
Connect one lead to outside tank,(petrol tap outlet),and other lead has a bit of metal clamped in jaw.Suspend this in petrol filler opening not touching the sides or bottom. Plug in and switch on.rust starts to collect within 5mins!
When done flush again.Then pour Meth'spirits in to absorb moisture.
Tank seal if required. I used 'Splosh'-Dragonfly Motorcycles

Have a look on YouTube .

I hate typing

:lol:

Charlie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: Charlie » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:57 am

I used This stuff. It really is brilliant. It works overnight and cleared all the rust from inside my tank. I dont like to use tank liners...but with this kit I didnt need to anyway ;)
Why do I persist in debating with idiots ? I really should know better :)

tedsonthezed
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: tedsonthezed » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:10 am

I used POR15 Marine Clean and Prep and Ready from Frosts. Worked brilliantly on mild rust in the Z1 tank and left a zinc coating as I didn't want the inside of the tank to look sealed. Did it in an afternoon and the inside of the tank still looks perfect a year later.
You want how much?

jphaynes669
ZedHead
ZedHead

z13 tank

#5 PostAuthor: jphaynes669 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:17 am

Hi ralph, met you briefly at the ace , other than the fuel issues hope you are well mate.
I had a problem last year with the tank on my ypvs ( paper thin)..I had just had it painted and it started bloody leaking, before this it had been dipped to clear the rust, anyway knowing it was clean I had it lined to cure the leak. I used these guys,
Unit 24 ltd
Camberley surrey. 01276 23491 or mob 07585606433.
They couldnt have been more helpfull, doing the job while I waited and saving my new paintjob.
They have a website www.unit24.biz
It depends how bad your rust is, but I have got tanks pretty clean using a blanking plate or bung in the bottom, a mixture of parrafin and a handfull of those small sharp edged star washers,, about a pint of parrafin in the tank , follwed by the wahers ,, lid on ,, and shake the thing for as long as you can,,,, drain off the dirty liquid,,, refresh and repeat,,
If it is realy bad it might have to be acid dipped and then a repaint.
These guys in surrey do the whole service but will supply you the stuff for diy if you want.
And the stuff they use is not affected by ethanol, and my tank is proof of this, hope this imfo
Is of some use to you mate :wink:
Jeff.H

gpjes
100Club
100Club

Rusty Tank

#6 PostAuthor: gpjes » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Hi, Bought a 1000rx just to go on the Yorkshire weekend as some of you may know, it ran kinda ok, extremely quick when opened up but a bit rough running.
Stripped carbs off to find full of rusty petrol with one main jet completely off.
Looked in tank with aldi flexi viewer to reveal rust in places you couldn't see through filler hole, bugger, so here's my fix, used a flowliner kit obtained from wyldes in leeds they advertise in classic mechanics and others, ok get as much fuel as you can out of tank, put masking tape and bubble wrap on edge's and lugs and owt else that sticks out take out petrol tap, fuel sender, and fuel cap, ok so you have a tank that's had fuel in it, put a detergent in there and get it foaming out all holes( I used a jet wash and traffic film remover jet wash was fitted with a drain nozzle and was hot) When no more bubbles or oily water runs out, you can make a start blocking holes I used an old Kawasaki gt750 tap for tap hole, made a square ally blanking plate for sender hole with a rubber home made gasket filled up then with rust stripper supplied with kit right up to the brim and left for seven days.
Pumped out and saved rust stripper, rinse tank out again inspect again, sodding hell still rust inside top but then nobody stores a motor bike upside down! so bung up fuel cap hole and fill through sender hole with rust stripper I'd previously pumped out and saved, left for another seven days rinse out and inspected again bloody great, clean metal throughout not smooth, so just right to accept epoxy coating so that's where we are now, so a few things I found useful, inspection thingy for where you can't see! clean empty 25ltr container with cap a wet vacuum with a piece of half inch stuck in (To get last bits of water out) hot jetwash (Use garage forcourt if you can't borrow one, for first washout to defuel) Followed the kits instructions pretty much to the letter, so time to do, about three and a half to four weeks, If any one wants to know what I used for bungs and other stuff just message me, all the best Jes
More Smiles Per Mile

KeithZ1R

#7 PostAuthor: KeithZ1R » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:07 pm

coke and drain cleaner Ralph don't dismiss it I've done it twice now its worked both times and left the inside of the tank gleaming :D
Keith
:bop :gom

You can never have too many tools in your life, except the two legged variety

I'm never wrong, once I thought I was but I was
mistaken.

Phil Churchett winner 2013

Taffus

#8 PostAuthor: Taffus » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:26 pm

KeithZ1R wrote:coke and drain cleaner Ralph don't dismiss it I've done it twice now its worked both times and left the inside of the tank gleaming :D

Any particular brands?

A1John
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#9 PostAuthor: A1John » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:06 pm

gpjes
100Club
100Club

Rusty Tank

#10 PostAuthor: gpjes » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:59 pm

Just rebuilt the RX tank sender back in pingel fuel tap filler cap back on took a while to get all the masking tape and bubble wrap off definitely worth protecting tank whilst doing processes on it still five days before I can put fuel in it but at least it will be 'Ethonol' Proof so the makers claim the truth, for some time now our fuel has contained a certain percentage of something natural which has a tendency to create a oxide whilst in an unprotected steel tank or,,,,all the crap which is added by our caring establishment to our fuel in a sad attempt to make us greener my snot turns green when I get manflu does that mean I'm being greener?? Yep I wish I could have stockpiled fuel from the seventies, where's the PJ1 Octane Booster????? But seriously people like Ralph an me, and Keith just can't go out and buy tank,side panels, and talflip new unlike z900/1000 owners for us and countless others second hand and hopefully ok is only way to go but that's half the fun of owning these beasts, strangely my ST tank is ok with just a tiny bit os rust where the filler neck has been rammed in over the years!!
More Smiles Per Mile

KeithZ1R

#11 PostAuthor: KeithZ1R » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:09 pm

Taffus wrote:
KeithZ1R wrote:coke and drain cleaner Ralph don't dismiss it I've done it twice now its worked both times and left the inside of the tank gleaming :D

Any particular brands?

This little lot Made short work of the rusty insides of the tank well impressed bright shiny metal inside now :D 3 to 1 coke to harpic coke needs to be sugar not diet

Keith

mistaken.

Tonka
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#12 PostAuthor: Tonka » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:21 pm

KeithZ1R wrote:
Taffus wrote:

Any particular brands?

This little lot Made short work of the rusty insides of the tank well impressed bright shiny metal inside now :D 3 to 1 coke to harpic coke needs to be sugar not diet

Yep used this technique and it worked a treat on my Z1B tank :D
Inheritance? What inheritance? He spent it all on booze, women and Zed parts!

KeithZ1R

#13 PostAuthor: KeithZ1R » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:06 pm

the best bit is pouring it down the storm drain when you have finished with a clean conscience BTW i washed the remnants out with white spirit
Keith

mistaken.

coldsummer
Hardcore
Hardcore

#14 PostAuthor: coldsummer » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:27 pm

Charlie wrote:I used This stuff. It really is brilliant. It works overnight and cleared all the rust from inside my tank. I dont like to use tank liners...but with this kit I didnt need to anyway ;)

+1 - Works a treat but I want to give Keith's Coke and Drain Cleaner method a try next. Trouble is, the coke doesn't last too long around here :roll:

scott
Junior Section leader

#15 PostAuthor: scott » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:08 am

coke does'nt last too long with me either :roll:

Return to “Bike Help”