Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

1 not firing UPDATED INFO

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

zman
100Club
100Club

1 not firing UPDATED INFO

#1 PostAuthor: zman » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:48 pm

No1 not firing.Have compression but no vacuum. :cry:
Not used compression gauges but you can feel a good compression with your finger

DOES THIS HELP
this started after changing valve oil seals.
compression 1=110 2=95 3=95 4=95

vacuum 1=0 2=20 3=22 4=21
Last edited by zman on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
keep thoses wheels turning

Jay1969
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: Jay1969 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:05 pm

Sticking intake valve maybe?

000zeds
ZedHead
ZedHead

#3 PostAuthor: 000zeds » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:42 pm

Check valve / shim clearance
Zeds-R-Us

JohnC
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: JohnC » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:12 pm

See my last thread m8, might help. I'm still have a problem with No 1 pot but It's firing at least, the header pipes just not as hot as the other 3. I'm now down to a blocked / dirty carb or a duff silicone HT lead but now leaning towards the carb as the problem.

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Al » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:37 pm

Have you looked to the vac take off blanking bungs?
Had a couple recently that may as well have not been there for all the good they did.
Holed through in the moulding process!!

AL
1981 J1

zman
100Club
100Club

---

#6 PostAuthor: zman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:28 am

Im no expert :cry: But hows it possible to have compression & no vacuum.
If the valves gaps are to tight there would be no compression.If they are to big may be a bit tappy.But would still be ok to work even if not at its best.

Is there a vacuum circuit in the carb that could be block :?:
keep thoses wheels turning

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: ---

#7 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:56 pm

zman wrote:Im no expert :cry: But hows it possible to have compression & no vacuum.
If the valves gaps are to tight there would be no compression.If they are to big may be a bit tappy.But would still be ok to work even if not at its best.

Is there a vacuum circuit in the carb that could be block :?:

Good question. 2 thoughts - 1 If you have the spark plug out to finger test compression don't expect to draw a vacuum at through the carb with the pug still out. 2. A leak in the intake rubbers/vac take off plugs as per Zorded.

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: Al » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:41 pm

Finger for compression but what are you using to determine lack of vacuum on number 1?
Yes you will get compression with no vacuum because the cylinder can draw air through the exhaust valve if it needs to in a dynamic system that it being tested statically.
Its the expanded gasses clearing the cylinder which in part account for the lower pressure in the cylinder which draws in a new charge. That and the downward movement of the piston. Again though that is running dynamically which brings me back to my question above.
My comment about vac take off bungs reflects the fact that with a bung missing or damaged that would be enough to stop the vacuum developing in the inlet manifold and kill that cylinder.
On my bike that will stop the engine because that cylinder then reverts to pump mode and with nearly 11.5:1 compression it conks out.
If yours will continue to run on three cylinders it implies low compression and thereby low pumping or correct compression and low vacuum.
Its also true that, cam timing makes a significant contribution to both compression and vacuum.
We need numbers :?:

AL
1981 J1

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: Al » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:04 pm

We need numbers but just not those numbers :gob :gob :D .
Valve timing appear to be more or less spot on.
Compression across the board could be better though and just seems a bit on the low side.
Its conspicuous that #1 has the highest comp and still zero vacuum so i will stick to my original thought that there is a massive air leak on the inlet side.
Its the only thing that might partly explain both sets of numbers but even then i am still not remotely sure.
I take it that you have used the standard method for comp testing;
Same number of spins per cylinder, fuel removed from carbs, bike upright, oil level correct, all plugs removed, throttle pinned etc etc etc.
Does it have a vacuum fuel tap? If so which cylinder is it connected to?
Are the carbs still in a good state of balance from where you had been running it previously? Valve clearances all spot on?

AL
1981 J1

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#10 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:30 pm

Have you got fuel in the carb? No 1 is on the side stand side and sits with the fuel evaporating gradually and silt settling at that end of the feeder tube between the carbs, check for a blockage on top of the needle seat, it's happened to me!

The carb can fill while it's stood, so when you check with the drain screw it looks like there's fuel, then won't refill quick enough to run the cylinder properly.

Quick check while it's running is to squirt easy start or WD40 in the inlet to No1 carb, if it picks up there's your problem.
Cheers,

Mark.

Return to “Bike Help”