Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1000A1 = Death Handling :D

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

JohnC
100Club
100Club

Z1000A1 = Death Handling :D

#1 PostAuthor: JohnC » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:06 pm

OK. OK. So don't flame me, but it's been a while since I've had the Z on the road, and to me it's now handling worse than I can ever remember.

I ran a Buell 1125R for a year or so and perhaps that's skewed my views on how the old Z handled before.

I was in a nice smooth long sweeper at about 90 - 110 (futoomshes per hour) and the bike started really snaking all over the shop, much worse than I remembered it ever handled before. Thank fek for the steering damper turned up to near max.

The bke is standard apart from, JMC deep brace swinging arm, progressive front springs (15 weight oil), Konis at second from max and 3 on damping, OEM front guard (which I'm assuming is as good as a fork brace), no frame bracing.

Did I have mass rose tinted glebs on all these years ago :)

John

Mark Tiller
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#2 PostAuthor: Mark Tiller » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:15 pm

Tyres? sizes and pressures all OK?

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#3 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:52 pm

MAN UP lad :lol:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

mikey
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: mikey » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Ride my triumph speed triple round for a while then get on me Z
and it scares the crap out of me way it dont stop and wobbles round corners
but wouldnt change it for the world :D
Making the world a shiny place with a factory finish

harri183
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#5 PostAuthor: harri183 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:48 pm

My Z1000 goes round corners like its on rails but then it is a 2012 z1000. :P Joking aside my Z1 feels like a death trap after riding on something new nearly went into a field the other day cause I did not allow enough time to brake but would not change it for the world, its a mans bike.

Z1parR
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: Z1parR » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:05 pm

It's just character John , plus fear factor increases each year :wink:
0172 . Geoff Parr

andyb1962
ZedHead
ZedHead

#7 PostAuthor: andyb1962 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:44 pm

Z1parR wrote:It's just character John , plus fear factor increases each year :wink:

They all do it!
Andy :wink:

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didnt exist"

chrisu

Re: Z1000A1 = Death Handling :D

#8 PostAuthor: chrisu » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:12 pm

JohnC wrote:OK. OK. So don't flame me, but it's been a while since I've had the Z on the road, and to me it's now handling worse than I can ever remember.

I ran a Buell 1125R for a year or so and perhaps that's skewed my views on how the old Z handled before.

I was in a nice smooth long sweeper at about 90 - 110 (futoomshes per hour) and the bike started really snaking all over the shop, much worse than I remembered it ever handled before. Thank fek for the steering damper turned up to near max.

The bke is standard apart from, JMC deep brace swinging arm, progressive front springs (15 weight oil), Konis at second from max and 3 on damping, OEM front guard (which I'm assuming is as good as a fork brace), no frame bracing.

Did I have mass rose tinted glebs on all these years ago :)

John

modern tyres need a LOT more pressure than the old ones. If you use the standard settings they will be low.

if you're running BT45s or similar try 32/36.

Garn 1
ZedHead
ZedHead

#9 PostAuthor: Garn 1 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:34 pm

JohnC, check bolts that secure OEM front guard are tight.
Check for play steering head... I don't think the Z1000-A1 had taper roller head-stock bearings, worth checking and fitting. Lastly, although you have a great JMC swing-arm they have bearings that need to be checked for play.
You scared me just reading the post.
RegardZ
Garn (Sydney) Z1, Z1A, Z1B and Z900-A4

popsA1
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: popsA1 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:55 pm

Back in the 80s I ran Pirelli Phantoms and Metzeler Perfects. They were great to start with but after about 1000 miles they would setup a wobble at 100+ that I didn’t have the balls to ride through. Today I’m on Avon Roadrider’s and the same thing is happening. Some non Z riders have suggested getting down on the tank to increase the weight on the front wheel, but I say bollocks to that, this is the first king of super bikes and I’ll ride like the majesty it deserves.
I’m of the opinion that the wider tyres and wider rims that I run are upsetting things as the contact patch at the back gets bigger. May be there is something in the tyre pressure remarks.
A2 1979-80. A1 1980-now

jimmock
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: jimmock » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:11 pm

Are your stabilisers set to the right height??

I ran a H***** CBR1000F for 3 years.
Went on the XS650 Special for the first time in 3 years to take it for MOT after I sold the H*****.

The XS felt really scary and inadequate until I got used to 70's shite again!!!
Jimmock. :wnkr

SPEED IS JUST A QUESTION OF MONEY...HOW FAST DO 'YOU' WANT TO GO?

I hate people I don't like !

JohnC
100Club
100Club

#12 PostAuthor: JohnC » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:46 am

Haha!! Stabilisers, new I was missing something :twisted:

I guess I just need to man up :lol:

Thanks for the tips, I'll check everything and then try the same bend at 120 futoomshes :wink:

kwaka
Regular Poster

#13 PostAuthor: kwaka » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:18 am

I've had a similar problem on mine. At about 100 mph in a straight line it starts to sway slightly. A suspension expert told me it's most likely the rear wheel isn't in alignment and to check it with the front wheel by setting up some straight edges clamped to the rear wheel and running to the front wheel.

andyb1962
ZedHead
ZedHead

#14 PostAuthor: andyb1962 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:04 am

JohnC wrote:

Thanks for the tips, I'll check everything and then try the same bend at 120 futoomshes :wink:

Steady on John we all know what happenened to a lot of bikers in the 70's!
I like to keep mine below the ton nowadays (less of a weave) and self preservation kicks in at my age. I only open it up on the straightest of roads with plenty of time for braking. My racing days are over :lol: :lol: more of a cruiser nowadays :cry:
Andy :wink:

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didnt exist"

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#15 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:13 pm

The weather does not help. It seems to be a lot windier out there than it was even 10 years ago.

Check tyre pressures, shocks, and lastly bearings forvwheel, swing arm and steering head.
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

Return to “Bike Help”