Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

PILOT LIGHT FOR MOT

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Padders
Hardcore
Hardcore

#1 PostAuthor: Padders » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:25 pm

Can anyone give me some advise on the pilot light ref mot. I have an American import KZ900 and the bike came without a pilot light fitted, so the switch just puts on the main light with the right hand handle bar switch is moved to pilot. The light inside had the hole for a pilot light so I have fitted one but cannot get the wiring sorted so that only the pilot light comes on. Only the pilot light and main light. The high beam works fine. Looking in the manual it shows no pilot light on the KZ wiring. Will it pass its mot.

Your help and advise guys as always will be much appreciated.

Cheers Ian.

Hack
100Club
100Club

#2 PostAuthor: Hack » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:38 pm

Ian,

My A4 is exactly the same and has no problem getting through the MOT. So long as both main and dipped beam work (and dip the right way) it should be ok.

Andy

Padders
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Padders » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:47 pm

Cheers for that Hack I will let you know how the mot goes this week. Fingers crossed and all that. I would still love to know how to rig the pilot light up though if anyone can shed a light.

Rich
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Rich » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:01 pm

1/ You will need the european rh switch gear, you may get away with just the switch internals if you have one lying around. The br/white needs to be switched seperately to the bl/white, usa models have them spliced together.
2/ Take a live from the blue feed to the meter backlights and run it to the pilot bulb then blk/y to ground, this will give you a switched supply from the rh switch.

Steve R
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#5 PostAuthor: Steve R » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:31 pm

Padders I have just had the exact same problem.
I talked to the Bike shop the week before the mot was due and they said if the bulb was there it had to be working.
Spent sunday sussing out.
Mine is also a us import with a mixture of uk and us bits.
The way I did it was that the ignition switch has a park setting where you can remove the key, if you look at the wiring diagram this makes a red wire out of the ignition switch live.
Go into the head light shell, peel or cut the insulation off the wires coming out of the ignition switch cut the red wire and ,solder or put into a connector block a wire from there to the pilot light, then front and rear will operate when ignition switch is set to park.
Only thing was I forgot to tell the bike shop so they did not suss how to work it. They gave me an advisery notice to say it was not working but said they could not fail it!!! So two different mechanics at the same Bike shop giving me a different story, any way at least it works now.
If I have not explained that too well let me know and I will ring you.
Steve

Padders
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: Padders » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:58 pm

Cheers guys I will have a go at the wiring and make sure I have some spare fuses to hand. Strip an engine no problem, electrics black art to me!

chrisu

#7 PostAuthor: chrisu » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:59 pm

Ian,

They can't fail what isn't there - I've had 3 KZ900s and never had a problem getting an MOT

Jerry
President
President

#8 PostAuthor: Jerry » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:57 pm

You're right, If it's not fitted on that spec bike,it's not required.Just a thought,if you do wire it up to work, the testers manual doesn't say it has to work independantly of the headlamp,so if it comes on at the same time, thats ok.

Return to “Bike Help”