Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Dodgy indicators

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Kerrigan
Regular Poster

#1 PostAuthor: Kerrigan » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:36 pm

Can anyone tell me why my indicators won't flash properly when the headlamp is on.....they just come on and stay on without flashing.
I have read that Z1/Z900s do not have the best electrics ever invented, but I assume I have a small fault to sort out...???

Kerrigan (Z900)

B19 ELR

#2 PostAuthor: B19 ELR » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:12 am

Sounds like the flasher unit is not working, or possible low voltage issues.

hanskloss
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: hanskloss » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:13 pm

had the same problem on my Z900, I've fitted on board voltmeter to find out what's wrong, battery voltage is between 12-12.5V, charging starts over 3000-3500 rpm and by 4500rmp voltage is a bit over 14 volts and stays roughly there to the redline, now if I stop with the headlight on voltage drops to less than 11V,add indicators and it goes down to nearly 10V, I have 60W halogen bulb fitted so with stock 45W the readings could be a fraction of a volt higher, I also replaced the indicator relay and it flashes quicker and with less "effort" now,the old one would sometimes stop flashing with the lights on and engine not running, the above might measure different on your bike (revs and volts depending on your regulator),in general these electrics were OK when new and could only get worse with the age

bunnysZ
Granny Magnet

#4 PostAuthor: bunnysZ » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:21 pm

i think i had the same prob once , and it was the flasher unit, only a couple of quid from z power,

Kerrigan
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: Kerrigan » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:16 pm

Thanks guys.

I think a new flasher relay is called for.
Actually my bike was sold about a year ago through RWHS and the job sheet with it says they replaced the flasher unit - maybe it was a used or faulty one.

I assume that a lot of you would have read "Dave's guide to the Z1/Z900" from Z Power.
I downloaded it yesterday.
What a great read !
Everything you always wanted to know and some things you really didn't need to know.....

I especially like Dave Marsden's comment that the Z900 is the best of the 900s and that in his opinion the green Z900 A4 is the best looking bike ever to come out of Japan.

I'm so glad I didn't save up more money and buy a Z1B !!!!!!

Padders
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: Padders » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:04 pm

The z900 seems to handle better but many prefer the earlier z1A z1B me I think any of the Z9 models are fine. Had the indicator problem on my last z9 a new flasher unit sorted it.

chrisu

#7 PostAuthor: chrisu » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:34 am

I've also had similar problems in the past with a poor earth.

Kerrigan
Regular Poster

#8 PostAuthor: Kerrigan » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:57 pm

I agree Padders, all the 9s look fabulous...
Went to the Sussex meeting a couple of weeks ago and we had a full set: Z1, Z1A, Z1B and my Z900.
They looked great all in a line.

Return to “Bike Help”