Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

z 900 / 1000 top end oiling

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

kwak
Regular Poster

z 900 / 1000 top end oiling

#1 PostAuthor: kwak » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:04 am

hi all
i am thinking doing a top end oiling what is the best way is any info as not found any on here prob looking in wrong place sure there use to be remember seeing it few years ago braided lines and modding head etc any info be great and pros and cons as well

many thanks

Garn 1
ZedHead
ZedHead

#2 PostAuthor: Garn 1 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:09 am

Hi Kwak,
As I understand it top-end oiling is only required for really super "hot" large bored Z1 series, it is only usually done where it is accompanied by an oil-cooler.

Top end oiling is usually achieved in Kawasaki, Z1 series, by pumping oil from the wet sump through the filter, oil pressure sensor then up along the horizontal main gallery to the crankshaft bearings / gear box bearing, then the head via the same main gallery, up through the two outer rear cylinder head studs holes, to the camshaft gear and buckets and valve gear.

The only other way to get oil up to head with say more volume is a pipeline from the oil pressure mount to the cam cover, this usually only done when an oil oil cooler is fitted. Sometimes the oil may be from the the end cap at the RHS end of the main oil gallery.

There are a few guys on-board here that have played with this. Hope this leads to some more info for you...

There are a few reasons that you may not be getting enough oil up to the head, restriction in stud holes, faulty pump, over tight cam shaft bearings etc.
Regardz .
Garn (Sydney) Z1, Z1A, Z1B and Z900-A4

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:09 am

I have top end oilers on both my Z1r and Drouin zed. To do a proper job you need to strip the motor to dry block it otherwise there will be no real advantage other than cosmetic. There are pics on my Drouin thread (one of the links below) in projects and a 'How to dry block' thread I wrote over on the KZR site which shows what to do.

Return to “Bike Help”