Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Exhaust restoration

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

G
100Club
100Club

#16 PostAuthor: G » Wed May 21, 2014 3:14 pm

For your info mine cost £700 which gave me a real difficult decision as our fellow member had secured that fantastic deal on the replicas at around the same time. I thought I had repairable pipes, dents rather than rot and the opportunity to run them past the S an T guys at Stafford prior to committing was also helpful.
Once I had commited I have to say they have done a superb job.Turn round was about ten weeks.

Wayne1960
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: Exhaust restoration

#17 PostAuthor: Wayne1960 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:27 am

Thought i should re visit this topic after a week of investigations into the authenticity of my pipes.

Im still not 100% but feel a little more comfortable with my findings.

First i should say a big thanks to Andy / Dave / Chris / Delkevic oh and Dave from Z Power.

So i had my pipes restored about 9 years ago by STC convinced they were original.

A couple of weeks ago i noticed the chrome had bubbled on one of the pipes and STC said they would take a look and repair.

I removed the baffle and asked the forum what insulation i should used which immediately raised questions as the A4 exhausts didn't have removable baffles and had 76 stamped on them.

My exhausts al have KH1 900 Z1 /750 Z2 stamped on all 4 pipes.

Dave (Z Power) said to check as they might be replicas which i did with Delkevic who seemed to think they might be theirs.

So disappointed at this stage having spent as much again getting them restored and could have bought new twice over.

However Chris tells me that Delkevic only started to make replica's a couple of years ago which now rules them out and I'm waiting for a reply from them to re confirm.

I then found some information saying that the later Z1 and Z1a's also have this stamp with the characters at 4mm high which mine are.

So i believe mine to be original Z1 or Z1a pipes.

I guess I'm pleased i haven't wasted my money but still looking to make my bike authentic.

So if there are any members with good quality A4 pipes on their Z1's and want to swap id be in the market to do so.

Also if anyone has any further information to help confirm the authenticity id like to hear back

Wayne
Just purchased a 1976 UK Z900 A4 for renovation. Wish me luck.
Bike now finished what a joy!

marmck
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#18 PostAuthor: marmck » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:14 pm

I have a set of repros ,no lettering ,exhaust numbers are underneath & welds on the seams are good .I also have a set of original pipes on my bike 3 with lettering & no 76 & 1 with 76 with the lettering ,the welds on these are ropey in places& exhaust numbers eg 1-2-3-4 are all on the top of the down pipes near the join .A4 baffles were changed so no lagging was needed on the baffles .It was only very early Z1 that had the baffles riveted in .So if the welds are ropey in places they will be originals .
Attachments
20230611_105503.jpg
20230611_105435.jpg

Wayne1960
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#19 PostAuthor: Wayne1960 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:53 pm

Thanks for reply

My pipes had the cover to hide the welds but i didn't put them back on because they looked great when i got them back. Im sorry to say i chucked the brackets which was the first mistake and if i could find some originals i'd put them back on.

860.JPG

IMG_7817.jpeg

My pipes simply have the KH1 900 Z1 /750 Z2 stamped on all 4 pipes.

IMG_7816.jpeg

Baffles are removable and held in place by small M6 bolts.

IMG_7819.jpeg

The more i look the more i think they are Z1 pipes

pipes.jpg
pipes.jpg (174.75 KiB) Viewed 3798 times

Still looking to get full clarification and swap if anyone has original A4 pipes.
Just purchased a 1976 UK Z900 A4 for renovation. Wish me luck.

Bike now finished what a joy!

marmck
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#20 PostAuthor: marmck » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:22 pm

Try opening a new thread in the wanted section

Return to “Bike Help”