Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Ok Question time...... - this is the first of what will probably be many!

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Rich
Hardcore
Hardcore

#91 PostAuthor: Rich » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:43 pm

When you get to the funny shiny bit in the middle give me a shout will you!

london calling
Hardcore
Hardcore

#92 PostAuthor: london calling » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:08 pm

Nice link Colin and good to see the bike back on the track.

uk kev
ZedHead
ZedHead

#93 PostAuthor: uk kev » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:28 pm

Quote: from Rich on 3:43 pm on Sep. 1, 2006
When you get to the funny shiny bit in the middle give me a shout will you!

Lost Me?

Rich
Hardcore
Hardcore

#94 PostAuthor: Rich » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:49 pm

Quote: from uk kev on 5:06 pm on Aug. 23, 2006
No oh cynical one! genuine is the real deal, and not a pattern or aftermarket part of dubious quality. I spend a lot of time and effort finding the "real" parts for my Z650 parts that everyone will tell you are no longer made or stocked, like the 4/2 exhaust for the early B model 650's, well I found a new original one last night that I am working on getting shipped to the UK for my bike, I will be doing the same for my new GPz1100, I have already found the genuine black chrome exhaust system, and some other parts that I was told are unobtanium, although the fairing is a good used one, which to me is better than an new aftermarket copy.

I would expect someone who has rebuilt a z650 to such an exacting standard as yourself to have a reasonable knowledge of his way round a motorcycle to be able to recognise a automatic cam chain tensioner, follow links to web sites with parts manuals and be able to locate an oil pressure guage.
Call me sceptical if you wish but something does not sound quite right on this thread!

london calling
Hardcore
Hardcore

#95 PostAuthor: london calling » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:00 pm

As this bike seems to be cobbled together from all the various models,B1,B2 and ZX uni-trak,surely it would be a good idea to get a copy of the GPz1100 workshop manual and the supplement.That way you can find most things out whilst having the bike infront of you.

uk kev
ZedHead
ZedHead

#96 PostAuthor: uk kev » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:16 pm

Rich me old Cynic, I come from a brit bike background, the Z650 was my first Japanese bike for over 30years, and was a totaly different beast to the lump I have parked outside my house now. And I know I am asking some questions that may be basic to you guys that have been around these things a while, but at this time I don't have any sort of manual to use as a reference point, none of my local outlets has a Clymer, and none seem to have come up on e-bay, in the three weeks I have owned it, so it is all new to me, I did wonder if that was to do with the cam chain, but it looks nothing like the one that was on my Z650, and as for the oil pressure switch, I can only assume that the model this motor came from never had or doesn't have one? as I can't find anything resembling one.
Oh well there you go, maybe I should just stop asking questions, then nobody will learn anything, what I have learned is that I have three different bikes in one package, maybe that is what is confusing me and causing the questions? maybe I should just sell it and go back to another Brit bike or Z650 and stop bothering you all!
Kev.

Padders
Hardcore
Hardcore

#97 PostAuthor: Padders » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:41 pm

Kev,

Stick around mate after a while you develop thick skin. I followed yours and Iain's instructions and managed to post a picture for the first time. Appreciate the offer of help.

Cheers Ian.

london calling
Hardcore
Hardcore

#98 PostAuthor: london calling » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:27 pm

Kev,don't bother with the Clymer manual and go for the factory Kawasaki manuals.The base manual which covers the Z1000J and GPz1100 B models and is available new.The supplement for the uni-trak models is no longer available new.Speak to Phil at Z-POWER 01942 262864 for a price.
If you cover the postage costs i've got my well used spare copies that you can bororw until you get sorted out with your own.
Have a word with Steve Cundall (big green bus) as he knows the GPz better than most and should be able to help out regarding the oil pressure switch location.

Padders
Hardcore
Hardcore

#99 PostAuthor: Padders » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:10 pm

Top man, thats what the club is about everyone helping each other with the odd piss take thrown in for good measure.

I'll give you a call Jack tommorrow ref your e mail, been busy sorting out CV's etc.

Cheers Ian.

london calling
Hardcore
Hardcore

#100 PostAuthor: london calling » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:18 pm

No worries Ian,good luck with the job hunting and hopefully speak to you tomorrow.

uk kev
ZedHead
ZedHead

#101 PostAuthor: uk kev » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:20 pm

Quote: from london calling on 7:27 pm on Sep. 1, 2006
Speak to Phil at Z-POWER 01942 262864 for a price.
If you cover the postage costs i've got my well used spare copies that you can bororw until you get sorted out with your own.

Thank you for the offer, I will try Z-Power, as a club member I get discount yes? if so do I need to quote a membership number? if yes I will wait untill I hear back from the club secretary.
Thanks again for the help offered both on an off board.

london calling
Hardcore
Hardcore

#102 PostAuthor: london calling » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:26 pm

Club members get discount at Z-POWER and Dave and Phil know their ZEDZ inside out,yours will keep 'em guessing but they'll get you sorted no worries.
Z-POWER are open 10am-5pm MON-FRI only,no weekends.
If you send Dave a regular supply of Liquorice Allsorts you might get special treatment,Phil prefers chocolate hob-nobs and talking about the might reds LIVERPOOL F.C.

Iain marshall
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#103 PostAuthor: Iain marshall » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:24 pm

Kev you where asking about the oil pressure switch,you wont find one,they went to an oil level indicator(82onwards GPZ) on the digital dash with the sensor at the left hand rear of the sump pan,if you want an oil pressure light you could look out for a GPZ1100B1 switch/oil pipe housing
B1
If i remember right the dyna coils used with standard Kawasaki electronic ignition are the 2.2ohms ones

(Edited by Iain marshall at 9:41 pm on Sep. 1, 2006)

uk kev
ZedHead
ZedHead

#104 PostAuthor: uk kev » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:53 pm

Iain, you are a star, thanks.
That is a worry off my mind on the oil pressure thing, I will try to wire the light into the low oil switch then if it is fitted.
I would like to fit better coils and leads etc, so knowing the ohm rating really helps, is the kwaka electronic a good system, or has it got issues.
thanks again.

Iain marshall
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#105 PostAuthor: Iain marshall » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:19 pm

Kev you might have problems trying to wire the level switch in to work a light,see diagram

i did resize it dont know what happend,wont need you glasses for this pic :)

I've not had any problems with the standard ignitions,not to say others havent.standard ignition coils are rated at1.8 to 2.8 ohms,so the grey 2.2 Dyna coils should do the job

(Edited by Iain marshall at 10:21 pm on Sep. 1, 2006)

Return to “Bike Help”