Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Engine problems help

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

steve f

#1 PostAuthor: steve f » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:05 am

the start of the story
bought a 1975 Z1B non runner must of been stood for 25 years in the usa few engine parts missing alternator and cogs for electric start and bolt for timeing on the other side located these as i got it running with the kick start
stripped and cleaned the carbs electric start working but seemed a bit lumpy but hard to detect as no baffles in exhaust all four cylinders sparking and warm
SO did a compression test 25 75 100 110 psi ?????

filled the two lowest with redex for 2 hours but the 25psi would not fill so then ran the bike with redex in all 4 cylinders from a bottle smoked its head off

did another compression test results 45 130 130 130 sio still have a problem so its either hole in piston rings stuck or broke bent valve or could it be anything else

(Edited by steve f at 10:08 am on Sep. 3, 2006)

big green bus
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#2 PostAuthor: big green bus » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:09 am

i think you are in the same boat as me steve you will probably need to lift the head. i would check the valve clearances first. 25 years is a long time

Padders
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Padders » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:17 am

With such a low reading on one you really do need to lift the head. Also with the bike being stood for so long the valve seals etc will need changing and the valves lapping in so really its head off either way.

Cheers Ian.

steve f

#4 PostAuthor: steve f » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:20 am

Its good how the redex got the other cylinders another 20 psi though personally with not being able to fill the bore with redex i think its more of a piston and/or rings problem

chrisNI
Site Admin

#5 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:20 pm

#Moderation Mode

Moved here

Jerry
President
President

#6 PostAuthor: Jerry » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:51 pm

Probably 95% of all comprssion problems on zeds over the years have been valve related, but I've got to agree with the others, the evidence doesn't look good,get the sockets out!

Return to “Bike Help”