Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Help pricing my Z1000 A2

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Wobbles

#1 PostAuthor: Wobbles » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:23 pm

Hi fellas,
First post and a bit of a big request I'm afraid.

I'm in a situation where having moved house, I'm restricted to the amount of toys I can keep in the garage. The Zed that I've owned for 15 years is the one I use the least and on that premise, I've to come the a difficult decision to sell her.

Thing is, that it's not standard and as such is hard to guage its value. If I can just give a quick overview of what it's like maybe you can give some advice.

It's a '78 Z1000 A2.
Full nut and bolt rebuild. The impression is a stunning mint bike with no expense spared. Wanted it to look very standard but when you look closer it has some interesting detailing...kinda 'street-sleeper' if you like.
Frame black powder coated.
Bodywork in Z1B colours
Every chrome part rechromed in triple chrome.
All parts either repainted/plated.

-Engine blasted & polished to original factory finish then rebuilt by Bob Farnham and Performoto. 1075 kit with gas flowed head, big valves, performance cam dynacoils etc etc and -dyno'd at 98bhp with 81ft/lbs at back wheel.
-Standard body carbs and airbox +large KN filter under seat to keep the standard look. Engine purs like new - it's only done a few hundred miles since rebuild.
-Vance and Hines Chrome system.
-Chrome Koni Dial-a-Rides at back and white power increased springs at front with revalving....needs this due to the uprated brakes>
-Brembo fully foating discs and twin pot calipers as per 996 SPS on brand new fork legs so stops like you wouldn't believe. (These are new btw)
-Standard swingarm under-braced with same guage tubing as main arms to give discreet 'standard' look.
-Wider Akront alloy wheels front and back with stainless spokes. New metzeler sport tyres.
-Giugliari 4/2 for solo and new Z power repro dual for pillion riding.

This description doesn't come close to cataloguing all the other details and thousands that have been spent on this bike. At every stage things were either renewed or upgraded for something better(keeping as original looking as possible)
It rides like a modern retro and simply rips when it gets to 6000rpm.

I hope you understand that this breaks my heart to sell as it was built to keep not to a slavish original rebuild - some thing for me.
As a result, I can't look at it objectively for a value, so was wondering what you guys think is a reasonable value for something like this to go for.

This is a genuine request, not some ego p#ss-take. I just want it to go at the right price and 1) not ask and over inflated price but 2) not undersell it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hilton.

(Edited by Wobbles at 4:48 pm on Sep. 21, 2006)

chrisNI
Site Admin

#2 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:58 pm

Sounds like one of those bikes that's worth more than you'll likely get for it - have you not something else you could sell instead? E-mail me a photo of it and I'll post it knowing wat it loks like would help. But as I said what it's worth and what you'll get aren't always the same and depends on finding the right buyer to a big extent.

Hack
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: Hack » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:20 pm

A precedent has been set regarding the value of Z1000's

(So I'm just waiting for Ash to make you an offer!!)

Rich
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Rich » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:09 pm

That'll be one hundred of our finest English pounds then!
As Chris says, if you get the right punter they may pay decent money, but you'll probably not get near what you've put into it. Your best bet would be to put it on ebay with a realistic reserve and see what happens.

Wobbles

#5 PostAuthor: Wobbles » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:17 pm

One hundred pounds it is then, lol! ;-)

No, I'm not one of those people that expects to get back the same amount as they put into these sort of things, tho I know one or two who are a bit like that. I wouldn't expect to come anywhere near. I knew when I started to make it something just for me that I relinquished all standard market valuations.....but there again, we do these things with the voices telling you you'll never sell it!!!
When I dust it off I'll take some nice shots of it and post them to you Chris. Probably fall in love with it again and persuade myself to keep it......with a bit of luck.

Thanks for all the replies btw :-)

Padders
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: Padders » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:56 pm

What sort of price are you after I have just been let down on a Z1000R and need a bike pretty quick.

Cheers Ian.

Rich
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: Rich » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:27 pm

Now now Ian, stop trying to gazump me! My offer of one hunderd of the finest English pounds has been accepted. All I have to do is let the ink dry on them and I will be off to collect. :cool:

Padders
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: Padders » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:47 pm

Bugger off you've got a bike, my garage looks pitifull without a bike in it. All I can do is sit on the Z1R frame and make vroom vroom noises.

Rich
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: Rich » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:18 pm

Don't sit on it too hard! My balance works well, I can now wiegh everything to 0.1g to make my bike lighter - I still have to go on a diet thou!!

Padders
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: Padders » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:03 pm

Nice to meet you today Rich, glad you got the scales. Did you manage to barter a deal on the front stand.

london calling
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: london calling » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:09 pm

Ian,was there much ZED stuff at Newark today?? did you manage to find anything to fill your garage??

Padders
Hardcore
Hardcore

#12 PostAuthor: Padders » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:28 pm

Hi Jack I bought some stainless bolts some alloy bar for spacers and thats about it. Could not buy parts as I do not know what bike I will have. Getting a bit fed up changing. I had 2 bikes for 6 years and now I,ve had 6 in 1 year. Steve is sending me some more pic's of the GPZ1100 and Big John may be selling the Z900 I sold him so a couple of leads. The Z1000R had a hole just above the footpeg mount on the right hand side. When I checked the right hand bottom rail it was rusted so walked away. Bummer the metmachex swingarm turned up just before I left. 1 swingarm no bike!! My fault though so should not complain.

london calling
Hardcore
Hardcore

#13 PostAuthor: london calling » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:52 pm

Ian something will turn up,it always does.
I've not seen many 1000J/R with bad corrosion like that.I've seen rust around the footrest hanger area but it's not spread to the bottom tube,by then it's a major job to sort it out.

Rich
Hardcore
Hardcore

#14 PostAuthor: Rich » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:55 pm

Jack, very little Z1000 stuff, some GS1000 bits and some z650 / 550 stuff otherwise poor on the bike front.
Ian, no I didn't get a front stand, I will have to go and buy some box section and make one. The Micron can had gone as well but I did get some more seat foam - have to have something if I'm going to make all these long journeys! plus other bits and bobs. Thought I'd got a dud with the scales, forgot that the load cell has to get to operating temp before it'll go through its self test, Doh! They do look pritty now they're all cleaned up - well worth ?18 just for weighing out the glass fibre chemicals let alone matching pistons etc.

Steve R
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#15 PostAuthor: Steve R » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:40 pm

Hilton,
No ones actually answered your question, as you say it is very hard to put a price on a modified Bike the big money seems to go on concours standard bikes.
I guess part of the problem is that for a lot of people who would think about buying a modified, streetfighter type bike the obvious choice is a tricked up Bandit 12 and they can be had for around ?3000.
Really its finding someone who has the same taste as yourself. My Z1A is similarly modified to yours and I know its worth nothing like what I have spent on it and certainly not worth what it would be if I had spent the same money restoring to standard, but like you I have modified it to suit me and not to sell ever (I hope!)
Still enough rambling, if your bike is as good as you describe I think you should be asking ?3500 and expect to get around ?3000.
What does any one else think?
Regards Steve

Return to “Bike Help”