Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

GPz750 Turbo

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

GPz750 Turbo

#1 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:16 am

Righto lads,

Been offered a Turbo for $8 Aussie, which is about 4K in pounds.
Its in Melbourne which is two days drive away from me so I can't whip down and view it. If I did buy it he'd transport to our Head Office and they would give him a company cheque. Is another one of the bikes that I wanted when I was a kid but realistically and being totally honest this would be more of an investment and used the odd Sunday.

What questions specific to the Turbo should I be asking and what pictures of specific areas should I request?

He's sent these and the bike looks pretty good but I am no expert!

What do you think?

Norton 850 Command, Harris Mag 2, Harris Mag 5, Triumph Steve McQueen, Suzuki RGV250 Barry Sheene, RG250 Walter Wolf, RD125LC, Lambretta Li150, Vespa 50N.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#2 PostAuthor: Pigford » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:24 am

Looks all there - if a bit "well used" :!:

The pipes & lower fairing parts are hard to get hold of so maake sure they're vgc. I see the mid fairing is extra shiney :?:

Really wanna see/hear it running from cold & test ride :?? Do you have anythong such as RAC that will inspect bike for you - or a local bike shop who'll take $100 to give it an inspection :?:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

mike_p
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: mike_p » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:39 am

Doesn't look too bad at all that. As Pigfords says standard exhausts and belly pan are hard to get hold of. It's also got uncut rear mudguard and centre stand which is good to see, centre stand is unique to the turbo (different to normal gpz750).
Ask him if it's stil got the original Hitachi turbo fitted, does it smoke when started from cold or signs of oil around turbo. If he's genuine enough ask him if he'd mind taking belly pan off and checking for any play on the turbo shaft....it's a 5 minute job so no hassle really. The engine is pretty much bombproof if oil chained very regular. The clutch rubbers if original would be better replaced as they disintegrate and block up the oil supply to the turbo.....expensive result.
Checkout www.750turbo.com , best site there is for these bikes......you will not want to stop riding it when you get it....believe me :D

samspoons
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: samspoons » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:27 pm

What mike p says 750 turbo site is brilliant what them guys don't know about turbos isn't worth knowing. Also if memory serves quite a few turbo owners in oz , one might live near you and give usefull advice or even view turbo with you. Apart from that seems all there but the clutch rubbers will need doing ,not a massive job and a few people in club making new rubbers out of Viton or delrin. Good luck :)

steve.w
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#5 PostAuthor: steve.w » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:26 pm

nice ..but id say a bit over priced itd be a £3.5 k bike in uk :wink:

Z1RII
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: Z1RII » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:08 pm

first question should be if the boost do what he should. the punch starts at 5-6000 and should go straight to the 12th mark (red). if not, the turbo is down and it costs about a grand to repair plus gaskets, o-rings etc etc..

i had this desaster with my turbo but now she is a canonball again

:D :lol:

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:42 pm

Bit of a development, one of the lads from the GPz900R forum is going to look at it this morning, also got some more picture.

So all going well I'll have a Turbo in the fleet :D

If it all turns to custard I've a cunning plan :wink:

Norton 850 Command, Harris Mag 2, Harris Mag 5, Triumph Steve McQueen, Suzuki RGV250 Barry Sheene, RG250 Walter Wolf, RD125LC, Lambretta Li150, Vespa 50N.

mike_p
100Club
100Club

#8 PostAuthor: mike_p » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:54 am

Z1RII wrote:....costs about a grand to repair plus gaskets, o-rings etc etc.

If you need it rebuilding again contact Charlie @ evergreen turbo in the USA, most of the lads on the 750 turbo site use him.....you'd probably get 3 turbos rebuilt 'properly' for that price ! He recently rebuilt and upgraded my Rajay turbo on my Martek, was about 1/3rd of what you paid and I'm including shipping from the UK in that ! The guys an absolute guru when it comes to turbos and charges sensible money

Checkout http://www.evergreenturbo.com

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:19 am

This is what VG from the GPz900R forum had to say, I trust his opinion.

He arrived from Narre Warren a good 30 min ride ..wearing sneakers old helmet old Leather jacket broken zips jeans sunnies and No gloves ..
OK this lad doesn't ride Often or with Passion ..he's not a Biker he rides a bike now and then ...

He told me the story of the bike he has owned it twice ..
He won't budge from $8k said he has a guy who keeps ringing saying he has $7500.oo but rejects him ..
the story is he sold to a guy in Brizzy 5 yrs ago then bought it back a couple years back ..
since then has put new chain and Sprockets ...
on inspection chain and sprockets are rusted ..
needs reupholstering of seat ...
all indicators need replacing ...
a lot of ingrained salt based rusting on the interior metal brackets etc ..
oil leaks when hot ...
Actuator not working so No boost
screen edging badly degraded by weather ..
Brake master cover salt base rust pitting ..
Top of fork legs pitted ...
Blows smoke has 79k on the clock
motor has never been touched so will need a rebuild ...
a nut and bolt rest Needed ...

in 15 yrs this will be worth a lot but a lot will need to be spent first ....
From what Ive seen and by reading the tyres which he says have been on for a few years ...
bike has never leant more than the side stand so this has been flogged in a straight hard and often ..
It's a Turbo thats what you do isn't it ? ...

So I rang the seller and offered him $5K and he said he keeps on being offered $7,500 for it, so I told him to accept it as soon as he could! I know these are rare but people need to be realistic on the price compared to condition!

So its on to plan 'B' and I'll find out tomorrow at 3pm
:cry:

Rhencullen
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: Rhencullen » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:28 am

Looking forward to plan B Ian.........

snotie1965
100Club
100Club

#11 PostAuthor: snotie1965 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:03 pm

plan B ??

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#12 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:13 am

Well I hate computers and Internet connection!

I was going to bid $7,399 for an immaculate Aprilia RS250 with 10K on the clock, the bid has been on $6,101 for the last three days so I thought it might be for a tad under $7K. Anyway, at my old mates who is 76 years old, just taken him to see American sniper! Put ebay on my phone and typed the figure in, we were watching it on his computer, 1 minute to go I hit the bid button and then confirm bid, the bloody thing wouldn't go through, then we started to panic and entered a figure on his computer and just as we hit confirm the Internet crashed, could not fecking believe it! The worst thing is there was no more bids on it! It sold for $6,101 Yep I'm still fuming as I type this!

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#13 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:24 am

Well this is a change for the better!

Driving in to work this morning and the seller rings me, I'd left him a message after the end of the auction to say if anything happened then I'd have first dibs!

Turns out that the original buyer thought it was road rego'd and because its not does not want it and do I still want it!

So I've bought this little two stroke race replica for $6,100, paid for it and spoke to the Aprilia dealer in Brighton (Melbourne) who have confirmed that is does have full service history and is like new!

So if its meant to be it will be :thumbs:

Here she is!

Return to “Bike Help”