Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

help flooding/over flowing carbs

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

lescr
100Club
100Club

help flooding/over flowing carbs

#1 PostAuthor: lescr » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:41 pm

Hi all
after three years I have finally got my old Z1R running. been starting up on and off for the last week without any problems but today it struggled to fire up on number 4 cylinder. It kicked in after a few seconds and all seemed fine. It has however started to dump fuel out of the bowl overflow pipes on number 2 and four carbs when engine is running and when it is off. Hasnt been doing this all week. I noticed that just before fuel is dumped the revs drop a bit then go back to normal once fuel has stopped leaking. Carbs have been refurbished using the keyster kits and float levels set. Floats were checked for holes before fitting. Anyone got any ideas why this is happening

thanks

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#2 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:50 pm

Sticky valves or some sh*t getting into carbs/float valves :!:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

lescr
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: lescr » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:56 pm

how would sticky valves cause this problem

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:11 pm

remove the fuel tank & give it a good shake & empty the fuel into a bucket/ kitchen bowl so you can see any paint or rust particles. if there are any signs of contamination repeat the process until the fuel from the tank is clear

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:29 pm

lescr wrote:how would sticky valves cause this problem

Float valves i think. Probably crap from the tank. Try fitting inline filters

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:52 pm

filters are no use if you have rust particles in the fuel tank. fine rust will still penetrate the filter & stop the float valve from seating

lescr
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: lescr » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:15 am

Did check that, the tank is pretty mint with no signs of rust. Comes from spending most of its life in USA. it does point to a float valve sticking but its not consistent one minute it drops what looks like a gallon of fuel then nothing or it could be dumping every 30 seconds. All this is when engine is ticking over on idle. Dont want to take carbs off just yet as they are not the easiest things to get on and off as we all know. I will check the float levels again today to see where we are at. keep the suggestions coming as Im fresh out of them

keith mayall
100Club
100Club

#8 PostAuthor: keith mayall » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:06 am

these carb kits we buy have dodgy float valves in em it took me a few goes with swapping valves to stop the fuel ,in the end I put a old one back in,the spring inside the new ones was not smooth at all and one had no spring at all and these was new....pain in the backside with carbs in out in out,ect..goodluck

DavidZ1R
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: DavidZ1R » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:22 am

Had the same problem yesterday with my Z1R, number 1 carb, sticking valve, gave the bowl a few taps with a screwdriver butt, stopped it, I think the fuel gells in little blobbs when air gets to it, just put some in a tub and see after ten minutes! the tanks are always vented so air is there, or it could be a bit of crap, there should be a filter on the rubber tube, is on mine.
CB125 GT380 CB750F1 Z1R GPZ 750 Turbo Z1R

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: Al » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:52 am

Are'nt these the carbs that split the vertical brass vent tube in the float bowls?

Withe regard to the above; i bought some new float needles with seats from NRP for the CV's.

Similar problem with intermittent flooding.
After a bit of close scrutiny i could see that the float needles were a mil or two shorter and the seats a mil or two longer.
(installed height would have worked out the same as original).
However the spring plungers were much softer than the originals and would easily bottom in the float needles.
At full float level, the needle would be further inside the brass seat and the tang on the float was contacting the outer rim of the seat stopping the needle from exerting any pressure at its tip on the seat orifice!
Parked them in the end and went back to the worn originals which were infinitely better by comparison.
In the final analysis my original problem turned out to be the 'O' rings round the seats where they press into the body.
These had shrunk / worn and were letting fuel round the outside of the seat!

AL
1981 J1

lescr
100Club
100Club

#11 PostAuthor: lescr » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:05 pm

[quote="zorded"]Are'nt these the carbs that split the vertical brass vent tube in the float bowls?

Withe regard to the above; i bought some new float needles with seats from NRP for the CV's.

Similar problem with intermittent flooding.
After a bit of close scrutiny i could see that the float needles were a mil or two shorter and the seats a mil or two longer.
(installed height would have worked out the same as original).
However the spring plungers were much softer than the originals and would easily bottom in the float needles.
At full float level, the needle would be further inside the brass seat and the tang on the float was contacting the outer rim of the seat stopping the needle from exerting any pressure at its tip on the seat orifice!
Parked them in the end and went back to the worn originals which were infinitely better by comparison.
In the final analysis my original problem turned out to be the 'O' rings round the seats where they press into the body.
These had shrunk / worn and were letting fuel round the outside of the seat!

AL[/quote]Those other 28's that had the damaged emulsifying tubes are ok been on a ltd for a month now. Guy is going back to the original 26mm set as he just found out that the 28's came off a gs1000. someone told him that they wont run on a z1000. Dont know what he has been using for last month!!
What you and Keith say about the spring tension on the float valves makes some sense. When I replaced the mixture adjustment screw I noticed that the springs were a lot weaker, hence I put the old ones back in. I will take the bowl off the outer carb and change the float valve back to the old one. I will do a comparison check as well

lescr
100Club
100Club

#12 PostAuthor: lescr » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:22 am

turned out to be crap in carbs from a container that I used when balancing carbs :oops: all good now. Thanks for your help guys

Return to “Bike Help”