Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Registering a newly imported bike

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

tedsonthezed
100Club
100Club

Registering a newly imported bike

#1 PostAuthor: tedsonthezed » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:04 am

I recently went through the process of registering my H2. It was imported four years ago by Rick Brett and I had just got round to finishing the restoration and getting it on the road. I was petrified of screwing the registration documents up as I know a couple of people who had had run-ins with DVLA in dealing with their historic vehicle. The guidance on filling in the DVLA documents is what I would call comprehensive – in fact there is too much of it. When you are a numpty beginner to this, it all seems too daunting. I looked on this forum as my primary source of assistance, but couldn’t find enough help. In hindsight though, it’s not difficult, so I decided to post my redacted documents on here for people to consult in future. If the moderators find it of help, perhaps they’ll put it somewhere that’s accessible. If I managed to do it, anybody can.

I was prompted to do this by a similar discussion on the Laverda Club forum. A member posted a guide posted on the ‘Air Cooled RD Club’ by their dating officer Paul Dawkins and I have used this as the basis for this guide. I hope he doesn’t mind me using his advice.

Firstly. Given the stick that government departments get, I was pleasantly surprised at how approachable the DVLA is. Advice was good and they were very helpful in guiding me on how to fill the form in where I couldn’t get my head round what to do. When you look at the V55/5, there’s so many boxes, it all looks a bit daunting. MANY OF THESE BOXES DO NOT NEED TO BE FILLED IN AT ALL.

FILLING OUT FORM V55/5.

You will have to complete a V55/5 form and supply a current MOT certificate and current certificate of insurance, so the bike needs to be ready for the road before starting the process. I sent off to the DVLA for a pack that includes the V55/5 a month before I was going through the process and it arrived about a week later. The insurance company will unconditionally insure your vehicle on it’s frame number for a month, but they wanted the registration number issued by the DVLA within that time, otherwise there would be limited cover after that time. So timing is important.

On page one of the V55/5: Only complete sections 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 (45 if known). In 46, put the date that you are applying.

Box 2 Taxation Class. If your machine was manufactured pre 1/1/1975 (at time of writing) write 'historic'. If not write motorcycle (This includes motor tricycles under 450kg). I originally put exempt, but a quick phone call to DVLA advised me to put the correct term.

Box 3 Say whether you want to tax the vehicle for six months or 12 months. Easy if it’s Historic as it’s free!

Box 4. Only enter the tax payable here, not the amount you are sending a cheque for. Registration fee at the time for me was £55, so that’s all I needed to send.

Box 8 Motorcycle (or motor tricycle as appropriate).

Box 9 Two wheel

Boxes 31 & 32 Please ensure you enter the numbers that are on your machine rather than the numbers on any paperwork. (Advice from Paul Dawkins).

On page two of the V55/5: Only complete section 48, 49, 50

Box 50 Write - Exempt by age

Sign and date the declaration

You will be asked to tax the vehicle. This will be free of charge if the machine was manufactured pre 01/01/1975 (at time of writing).

DOCUMENTATION TO GO WITH THE FORM.

There’s a self-explanatory and comprehensive list of documents that accompany the V55/5 that you can supply to confirm proof of identity. I sent a covering note with my documents just to help whoever opened the envelope and processed the application. I scanned in and stored a copy of everything that I had sent to DVLA. Make sure you send the originals, not copies, where required.

I sent it off by registered post (just to confirm that it had got to DVLA if there were problems) and got the V5C back 10 days later. The original documents that I had sent came back a couple of days after I received the registration document. The DVLA also sent a form V948 Number Plate Authorisation Certificate which is required in order to get a number plate made.

JOB DONE!

Ironically, the DVLA screwed up when issuing a number plate and issued me with a K reg PREFIX rather than suffix. I phoned DVLA straight away and was advised to send the V5C back with a covering letter. I also sent a further copy of my Dating Certificate as I considered that my documents may well be going through the system. Less than a week later, I received a telephone call from a nice lady at the DVLA who advised me that my new registration document was on it’s way and this duly arrived seven days after I had returned the incorrect V5c.

HMRC comments.

The bike was imported before the NOVA system came in so I had to contact HMRC to stamp the old C&E 389 customs form. I can’t comment on what forms are sent with the new NOVA system, but I’m sure that it’s straightforward.

[img][img]http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt341/tedsonthezed/v555page1_zpsdsmsfrzb.jpg[/img]
[/img]Image
[img][img]http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt341/tedsonthezed/Document%20enclosure_zpsytf7rpk8.jpg[/img][/img]
You want how much?

garyd
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: garyd » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:42 am

Thanks Ted. Great info!

jimmock
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: jimmock » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:23 pm

In my opinion DVLA will reject the form, due to the fact that you have blanked out the details with a red marker pen. :nono
Jimmock. :wnkr

SPEED IS JUST A QUESTION OF MONEY...HOW FAST DO 'YOU' WANT TO GO?

I hate people I don't like !

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: Coose » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:52 pm

Last year I registered an old KTM 500 Enduro, which like yours had been imported some years earlier. Luckily I too had the C&E389 form and had to submit a NOVA1 form as HMRC would not date stamp the C&E389. This was the only item that held up the process, but it was only by a week or two.

What I will say is that, as you have done, whilst completing the V55 only complete the sections that you really need to. Someone once said to me that the DVLA do actually want you to register the vehicle as it means more revenue for them!

Farmer
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: Farmer » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:38 pm

Who do you speak to at Kawasaki UK is there a direct number, or does this club do a verification letter ?, I got the MVT to verify my ex army land rover, I`d actually forgot about this point as I`m just about to send in the forms :roll:
1981 KZ1000 K1 LTD

Farm Boy with an O Level in Metalwork and not much else.

Everything in Sussex is a She, Except Tom Cat and She`s a He.

tedsonthezed
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: tedsonthezed » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:25 pm

Who do you speak to at Kawasaki UK is there a direct number

The dating certificate is signed by Simon Chitty of Technical and Customer Service Group. But anyone who answers the phone at KMUK seems to know about dating certificates.

I don't think DVLA accept dating certificates from this club any more. I think Rick Brett can still do them as well - for less money.
You want how much?

jimmock
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: jimmock » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:26 pm

[quote=

I don't think DVLA accept dating certificates from this club any more. I think Rick Brett can still do them as well - for less money.[/quote]

It seems to be all changing??
Jimmock. :wnkr

SPEED IS JUST A QUESTION OF MONEY...HOW FAST DO 'YOU' WANT TO GO?

I hate people I don't like !

Farmer
100Club
100Club

#8 PostAuthor: Farmer » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:59 pm

Did you have to pay for the info from KMUK Ted ?. :)
1981 KZ1000 K1 LTD

Farmer
100Club
100Club

#9 PostAuthor: Farmer » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:32 pm

I spoke to Simon today and hes going to sort it for me................£54 for the privilege though :shock: :shock: :shock:

How much is a years road tax these days ?, I can`t remember ever buying any :roll:
1981 KZ1000 K1 LTD

Bill Newman
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#10 PostAuthor: Bill Newman » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:43 pm

Brilliant info Ted - I am about to register a Z1A in exactly the same way. Mine too was imported pre NOVA by RB and has been in my garage for 4 years.

"The bike was imported before the NOVA system came in so I had to contact HMRC to stamp the old C&E 389 customs form. I can’t comment on what forms are sent with the new NOVA system, but I’m sure that it’s straightforward."

One question - how did you go about getting the HMRC to stamp the form - where are they based (Dover?)

tedsonthezed
100Club
100Club

#11 PostAuthor: tedsonthezed » Fri May 01, 2015 12:14 am

Hi Bill. Contact HMRC, National Unit for Personal Transport in Dover. Telephone 03000 583020. You send the C & E 389 to them and it comes back date stamped, all done pretty quickly.

Hope it all goes well.
You want how much?

RB
Mine's a triple!

#12 PostAuthor: RB » Mon May 11, 2015 12:51 pm

jimmock wrote:[quote=

I don't think DVLA accept dating certificates from this club any more. I think Rick Brett can still do them as well - for less money.

[/quote]
Yep, the only people allowed to do them are myself and Kawasaki Motors U.K. ANDTHE GLASSES GUIDE! :roll: (I am a tenner cheaper and probably quicker) - The ONLY person that can do One for a bike where the engine and frame numbers do not match is myself - all enquiries to : H2Rik@aol.com :wink:

This is a chargeable service of £50.00 and includes an extract of the Check Book and a letter from us confirming your details and what we have found out. If you would like to go ahead with this service, please can you provide us with the following information and we will confirm whether we can assist you:

Full Name
Full Address
Contact Telephone Number
Payment Method

We also require the following information from your vehicle:

REGISTRATION NUMBER:
VIN NUMBER:
MAKE:
MODEL:
SERIES:
FRAME NO:
ENGINE SIZE:
YEAR AND PLATE:
APPROXIMATE DATE OF MANUFACTURE:

Once we have received the above information that you would like to proceed, we will obtain the extract for you.

Kind regards,

Leanne Skinner
Glass.co.uk Customer Service Team
Lifes too short . . .

Return to “Bike Help”