Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1-R Fuel Sender - Gasket Fitting Tips Please

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

pertonpc
ZedHead
ZedHead

Z1-R Fuel Sender - Gasket Fitting Tips Please

#1 PostAuthor: pertonpc » Fri May 08, 2015 8:28 pm

This is a new one for me - other Zeds did not have the big hole under the tank for the sender unit to go through.

I have got a good condition used factory sender unit with clean gasket facing surface, a NOS Kawasaki gasket, the correct fitting bolts with decent threads, and I have a flat and clean gasket facing surface under the tank now.

So can I just ask -

Do people fit the gasket dry ...
or use any lubricant ...
or use any sealant

and is there a torque setting for the 6 little bolts ??

I could just do with hearing any tips or pitfalls on this before I get started.
Cos I don't want to scrap the new gasket or get gas weeping out over the carbs.

I am planning to get the fuel tap and sender unit fitted to the tank this weekend - then leave it off the bike for a few days leak testing - with 6 or 7 litres of fuel inside - which I will slosh round a bit each day to simulate what it will get on the road.

If that goes well it can be fitted properly next weekend.

Thanks for looking. From Mark
Z1-R D1, Z650 B2, Z1-B & ZRX 1200 A1P Catch 'em if you can at www.Zedrider.co.uk

RGH
100Club
100Club

#2 PostAuthor: RGH » Sat May 09, 2015 11:54 am

Dry. No torq setting which is rather strange as there would of been at factory assembly. Critical your do up to same pressure starting at one pint and work your way around. Did mine bout 4 years ago with a inc/lb torq wrench starting on bugger all and worked way around and upped the setting, can't remember where l stopped, just go by gut feeling and l also did the leak test as you described, don't wanna squish that seal too much.

Kev1R
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: Kev1R » Sat May 09, 2015 1:00 pm

I used a smear of Hylomar blue non setting gasket jointing compound on mine.
No problems to report!

pertonpc
ZedHead
ZedHead

#4 PostAuthor: pertonpc » Sat May 09, 2015 4:17 pm

Thanks Lads

I have one of the patented Pauljac47 TENG mini torque wrenches so will use that to keep the tightness equal.

Will report back later this week with how it has gone.

From Mark
Z1-R D1, Z650 B2, Z1-B & ZRX 1200 A1P Catch 'em if you can at www.Zedrider.co.uk

pertonpc
ZedHead
ZedHead

#5 PostAuthor: pertonpc » Sun May 10, 2015 9:17 am

Ok then
The update is good news.

Bone dry at the joints of petcock and sender unit after leaving overnight with just over half a tank of gas.

Have given it a good sloshing round to make sure there is no air trapped in the joints etc.

Fuel out this morning and sender rubber cover and vent hose fitted plus circlips x2.

Front tank vent tube and elbow also installed and tube tucked up behind the retainer tang on tank.

Now back the right way up with some fresh gas inside for a bit more bench testing.

I took the 6 little bolts that hold the sender unit just over hand tight by equal amounts. Not enough for a torque reading cos they are so tiny.

Used a NOS Kawasaki gasket and that seems to be all the tension it needs to hold fuel tight.

Thanks for all the advice people.

From Mark

Return to “Bike Help”