Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Splitting z900a4 speedo / rev counter to renew clock faces

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

markhemstock
Regular Poster

Splitting z900a4 speedo / rev counter to renew clock faces

#1 PostAuthor: markhemstock » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:41 pm

Can any one help me with how to split speed rev counter on z900a4 want to renew clock faces and clean inside glass. Have prized up the metal ring but bottom of clock won't come away from black top part. Many thanks mark
Z9A4tfx

Tonka
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#2 PostAuthor: Tonka » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:33 am

I'm just about to do this so I would also be very interested to know.

Where did yiu get your clock face from?
Inheritance? What inheritance? He spent it all on booze, women and Zed parts!

mick znone
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: mick znone » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:44 am

the metal ring is what stops the split, once undone the top will just come undone.
I DONT CARE, IN OR OUT BUT IM ENJOYING THE DEBATE......................ARMSTRONG MT500. a pushbike, waves.....addict, no offence

Chris Riv
100Club
100Club

clock splitting

#4 PostAuthor: Chris Riv » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:48 am

Rubber seals stuck. You need to prize the back of the clock away from the rubber seal first. Don't try to prize the top off otherwise you will rip the seal in half.

hillbilly
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: hillbilly » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:07 am

don't forget the two spoons for needle removal.
push me shuv you.sez who sez me.
owing p.u.m. (76 z1b)(v reg z1r)

markhemstock
Regular Poster

Re: Splitting z900a4 speedo / rev counter to renew clock fac

#6 PostAuthor: markhemstock » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:54 am

markhemstock wrote:Can any one help me with how to split speed rev counter on z900a4 want to renew clock faces and clean inside glass. Have prized up the metal ring but bottom of clock won't come away from black top part. Many thanks mark

Ebay £20.00 plus £3 postage waiting for them to arrive but reviews all good big selection all models
Z9A4tfx

markhemstock
Regular Poster

Re: Splitting z900a4 speedo / rev counter to renew clock fac

#7 PostAuthor: markhemstock » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:55 am

markhemstock wrote:
markhemstock wrote:Can any one help me with how to split speed rev counter on z900a4 want to renew clock faces and clean inside glass. Have prized up the metal ring but bottom of clock won't come away from black top part. Many thanks mark

Ebay £20.00 plus £3 postage waiting for them to arrive but reviews all good big selection all models

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/fluffosborne seller id
Z9A4tfx

mick znone
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: mick znone » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:09 am

always worth asking on the site or doing a search before buying stuff mark, the chap is a club member, may have sent a set direct.
http://z1ownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... ight=saxon
looks like youve picked a good seller though, good quality gear.
I DONT CARE, IN OR OUT BUT IM ENJOYING THE DEBATE......................ARMSTRONG MT500. a pushbike, waves.....addict, no offence

A1John
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#9 PostAuthor: A1John » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:58 am

I have some very nice original z1b clock faces if anyone needs any.

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:37 pm

Its not getting apart its getting em back together and looking anything like. :(
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

Big Fluff
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: Big Fluff » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:36 pm

Yes the crimp rings are a pain in the arse. :|
This is the way I do it:
1. Bore a large hole in a thick block of wood (2 inch), the same diameter as the top cover and thick enough to allow the top cover to go into.
2. Remove the Phillips screw on the underside of the clock and remove the lower cover. (This cover is not held by the cimp ring!)
3. Apply protective tape to the outermost section of the crimp ring.
4. Invert the clock assembly into the wooden block and fit a large hose (jubilee) clip around the outer section of the crimp ring. (This will ensure the crimp ring retains its shape whilst being very carefully prised up.)
5. Using a suitable screwdriver, patiently and carefully prise the LOWER side of the crimp ring upwards. Working a little bit at a time is the best practice here and don't try to prise the ring all the way up in one go.
6. Once the crimp ring has been "folded" up enough, the crimp ring and top cover can be removed, but you'll have to lift the inverted clock assembly out of the block and release the tension on the hose clip to see if it's been released enough. If not, repeat the above steps.

When reassembling the clocks, fold the crimp ring down a little at a time. I usually start at 10mm intrvals for one pass, then down to 5mm for the next pass, then down to 1mm to finally fold the ring down.
The ring can then be painted and and when the bottom cover is refitted, it hides most of the marks made by the folding.

Hope this is to some use to some of you.
I can post pics if you like.

Regards, Will
Kawasaki GPz750T, Kawasaki ZRX1100R, Kawasaki GPZ1000RX, H**** VF1000RG Rothmans, H**** VF500F2F, H**** CB1100RD, Suzuki GSX1100EFE, H**** XL125K2

markhemstock
Regular Poster

Thanks for all your help z900a4 clock splitting

#12 PostAuthor: markhemstock » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:53 pm

Well pleased with finished job until I dropped tacho and smashed it :cry: quality of clock overlays great but have ordered another set due to damaging the clock face of the tacho when dropped it. The key is like you all said don't rush if I can do it any one can. The result when they where back together was good saying it myself but when clock bottom put on couldn't tell. Once again thanks for all the replays to my original post and the good advise cheers mark
Z9A4tfx

markhemstock
Regular Poster

Thanks for all your help z900a4 clock splitting

#13 PostAuthor: markhemstock » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:53 pm

Well pleased with finished job until I dropped tacho and smashed it :cry: quality of clock overlays great but have ordered another set due to damaging the clock face of the tacho when dropped it. The key is like you all said don't rush if I can do it any one can. The result when they where back together was good saying it myself but when clock bottom put on couldn't tell. Once again thanks for all the replays to my original post and the good advise cheers mark
Z9A4tfx

Charlie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#14 PostAuthor: Charlie » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:54 pm

If you are replacing the securing ring anyway, the quickest and easiest way to remove the old one is to just nick a tiny cut with a dremel.

Yes you also cut the top case too for about 3mm, but it helps line things up when you put the two halves (of the top case) back together, and it's invisible when a new ring is fitted.

The only hard part is peening the new ring over - that is a bitch of a job. I wish someone would make a tool (to sell) that'd do that rather than tippy tapping here and there a little at a time.
Why do I persist in debating with idiots ? I really should know better :)

Return to “Bike Help”