Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

New Valve springs (Green Paint)

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

New Valve springs (Green Paint)

#1 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:28 pm

Guyz, new set of valve springs for a z9 ,noticed green paint on one end of both inner and outer springs,look the same both ends no tighter coils,always thought valve springs tighter wind towards head,only thing i can find on the net is on a car forum which says painted end goes towards head and on a thumper forum it says paint is opp to tighter end of spring so paint should be uppermost?,any one else come across this? looked at two set of springs that have come out,no sign of paint marking?coils look id both ends....may be .5 mill tighter at one end but hard to tell,using drill bits as gauges.
Paul J
Last edited by PAULJAC47 on Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#2 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:03 pm

Paint is normally a rating code.

ie lb/in. Doesn't explain why the same colour on inner and outer, but we don't know their codes.

I don't think there is a correct way up, as far as the spring knows it is being pressed from both ends.
Cheers,

Mark.

buzzard
100Club
100Club

springs

#3 PostAuthor: buzzard » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:58 am

Not sure what paint is. Got some new APE springs here no paint so could go up any way. Don't think it matters but might be wrong. Sorry not much help, Buzzard.
Every man should have a shed (for bikes obviously..)

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

Re: springs

#4 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:54 am

buzzard wrote:Not sure what paint is. Got some new APE springs here no paint so could go up any way. Don't think it matters but might be wrong. Sorry not much help, Buzzard.

I've been thinking about this - if the springs are single rate, i.e. the same coil rate throughout the whole length, then they can go either way up.

BUT, if they are dual or progressive rate, i.e. the coils get tighter then they should go with the tighter coils against the head.

The reason is that the end with the most coils is heavier, and the end that moves in relation to the head is the end that is in contact with the valve spring keeper, and therefore has a momentum away from the head and against the keeper, it stands to reason you would want to keep that momentum as low as possible.

I haven't however, ever seen a variable rate valve spring, not saying they don't exist, but I haven't seen one.
Cheers,

Mark.

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:36 pm

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/660781 ... e-springs/

This is what is confusing meself!!! hadnt seen the paint would have put em in either way as every set i have evet fitted....
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

-Han Solo

Anon

PUM 673

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#6 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:44 pm

PAULJAC47 wrote:http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/660781-installing-valve-springs/

This is what is confusing meself!!! hadnt seen the paint would have put em in either way as every set i have evet fitted....

I think that says what I said, but the conclusion is, if they are not variable rate, i.e. the pitch and wire diameter are the same at both ends they can go either way.

I don't believe the "put them in the wrong way and the motor was dead in 30 minutes", what we are talking about would only be an issue at the extremes here - that was someone who fucked up a build and was looking for an excuse.
Cheers,

Mark.

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:55 am

Yes agree Mark, in this case cant see any variance in the springs either end,if there had not been any marking would have just installed either way ...

-Han Solo

Anon

PUM 673

buzzard
100Club
100Club

springs

#8 PostAuthor: buzzard » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:59 pm

measured wire diameter on springs with vernier same all the way through, i dont think it matters what way they go. ive never worried what way round they go, never had any problems. buzzard.
Every man should have a shed (for bikes obviously..)

Return to “Bike Help”