Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Exhaust Stud Removal Tips Needed Please

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#16 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:52 pm

PAULJAC47 wrote:Wish i had only one stud stuck when i restored a Gs thou a few years back,bike had been standing in damp for some time,virtually every fastener was seized,took some time but every one came out its just time patience and different techniques...

I've got 5 cylinder studs to get out of a GS1000 crankcase tomorrow night!!!

I'm hoping to save them for re-zincing.
Cheers,

Mark.

jphaynes669
ZedHead
ZedHead

#17 PostAuthor: jphaynes669 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:04 pm

Mark, use a heat induction removal tool. Remarkable bits of kit these are. They heat the target very quickly while leaving the surrounding areas relatively cool. A seized bolt or stud are a doddle to remove.
If you can, get 2 nuts onto the thread and tighten them together , locking them into postion. Place the inductor coil over the stud and apply power until it glows. Spanner on bottom nut and undo.
Use one on a regular basis when doing manifold and turbo jobs on trucks. Never fails.
Whats good is that its flameless and nothing near to the target gets damaged.
Jeff.H

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#18 PostAuthor: z1bman » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:07 pm

jphaynes669 wrote:Mark, use a heat induction removal tool. Remarkable bits of kit these are. They heat the target very quickly while leaving the surrounding areas relatively cool. A seized bolt or stud are a doddle to remove.
If you can, get 2 nuts onto the thread and tighten them together , locking them into postion. Place the inductor coil over the stud and apply power until it glows. Spanner on bottom nut and undo.
Use one on a regular basis when doing manifold and turbo jobs on trucks. Never fails.

great bit of kit but not cost effective for a one off job

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#19 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:03 am

z1bman wrote:
jphaynes669 wrote:Mark, use a heat induction removal tool. Remarkable bits of kit these are. They heat the target very quickly while leaving the surrounding areas relatively cool. A seized bolt or stud are a doddle to remove.

great bit of kit but not cost effective for a one off job

Grubby (MTC) has one, he swears by it, if I get stuck I'll see of I can borrow that. The big torch is a bit indiscriminate, you have to keep looking at what it's setting light to on the other side of the garage.
Cheers,

Mark.

Return to “Bike Help”