Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1R BATTERY

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

alfacity
Regular Poster

Z1R BATTERY

#1 PostAuthor: alfacity » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:06 am

I'm looking to replace my battery on my Z1R.
I've just bought a Z900 and that has come with a Motobatt battery.
However someone told me Odyssey were better.
what is the general consensus amongst Z1 owners? and which is the correct one for my bike?
Thanks for all your help
Z1A & Z1000R2 ELR

Kev1R
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#2 PostAuthor: Kev1R » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:41 pm

I am a bit of a traditionalist with the batteries I use on the old z's.
This is because I have bought the same type - 6 cell that you can top up like came with the bike originally- now for over 35 years - and never had a battery stranded me & let me down. When they are on their way out they simply spin the engine over a little slower than usual so you have time to get to where you are going & organise a replacement.

Over winter I remove batteries & give them at least one charge before refitting. I don't think I have had a battery in the last 20 years that has not lasted at least around 5 years.
I do not insist on a particular make (current one on my Z1R is a 'Fuller' 12v 14Ah.

Some of the newer types of battery may fail instantly - and I have experienced this on another bike when it worked perfectly in the morning, parked up (60 miles from home) and by tea time I needed to pay Halfords an unexpected visit! So I stick with my tried and tested.

On the other side of the coin - Modern batteries are lighter and smaller and not prone to spit battery acid down the breather to ruin your chrome!

KeithZ1R

#3 PostAuthor: KeithZ1R » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:47 pm

what Kev has sed +1 :) :up
Keith
:bop :gom

You can never have too many tools in your life, except the two legged variety

I'm never wrong, once I thought I was but I was
mistaken.

Phil Churchett winner 2013

Charlie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: Charlie » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:56 pm

I work on the theory that most mechanical items have improved over the years and so take advantage of it. I wouldn't use 1970's technology oil or brake pads, so I dont use 1970's technology batteries :wink:

I have a Motobatt MB10U sealed unit in my Zed and a Shido Lithium Ion battery in my Rex. I do not allow the Motobatt to go flat, so it gives me zero trouble. With the Li battery, it really doesn't matter if I let it go flat or not. It will charge from completely flat to 100% in well under an hour anyway.

Neither battery can leak, the Li weighs about 15% of the lead acid equivalents. Neither battery need a fancy charger, they charge from a conventional unit. MF batteries only fail if a) they are cheap shite, or b) if they are allowed to go flat.

Put them on a maintenance/trickle charge on an Optimate or similar when in storage and they wont let you down.
Why do I persist in debating with idiots ? I really should know better :)

Return to “Bike Help”