Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Refurbishing Badges

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

nicomkii
100Club
100Club

Refurbishing Badges

#1 PostAuthor: nicomkii » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:34 pm

Not sure if this is the right part of the forum to post but am looking at revitalising the original badges on my MkII. Am just using replicas for now but want the original metal badges back on.
With that in mind and having minimal, if any artistic skills I am thinking of using an airbrush. What would the process be ? Obviously soda blast the current paint off then do the black, followed by the white and wipe clean for the silver portion ??
The correct black and whites would be good too. Do you tape off when doing the black and white ?
As you can tell I have no idea but what the hell.

IMG_3003.JPG
IMG_3003.JPG (121.28 KiB) Viewed 2628 times
Nico

Redbeard
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: Refurbishing Badges

#2 PostAuthor: Redbeard » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:20 pm

Not sure about the airbrushing technique but I used a very fine brush and some Revell model paint on my ST badges, white and red (forget which shade but it was a very close match). It wasn't too tricky. I think I used a silver pen for the raised edges and they looked pretty good.
1979 Z1000ST

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:18 pm

After blasting paint the whole badge black and then when that's dry fill in the letters white.
Once that has dried use some fine wet n dry (used wet) on a small sanding block to remove the paint from the raised edges to reveal the alloy.
After that either leave as is or lacquer them.

Zedorset
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: Zedorset » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:44 pm

After blasting the old paint off you could use some artists masking gel on the areas you want to leave unpainted. The paint as previously described. When dry peel off masking gel.
1975 Kawasaki Z1B
1979 Triumph Bonneville T140D
1969 BSA B25 Starfire

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#5 PostAuthor: swampy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:52 am

I would use an etch primer on the bare metal, then liquid latex mask or masking tape cut to suit in situ with a scapel on the white lettering. then paint black, infill the white then flat back the silver edges with wet & dry.
Motor biking, motor biking, going down the queens highway like a rasher streaky bacon!

Return to “Bike Help”