Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Lithium Battery?

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

rickm
100Club
100Club

Re: Lithium Battery?

#16 PostAuthor: rickm » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:30 am

So my '81 J with integrated regulator/rectifier should be ok, just as long as I can be sure of the source of the battery?
Presumably you'd still need an 18Ah rated battery? EDIT: just read that the cold crank current is rated differently for LiFe batteries than lead acid.
H2B GPZ900R

chrisu

#17 PostAuthor: chrisu » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:57 pm

Taffus wrote:
rickm wrote:
RALPHARAMA wrote:The charging system on classic bikes is incompatible with lithium ion batteries.

I'd be interested to know more. Is it the charging rate or something about how it's regulated that is a problem?
Some folk (Mr Pigford?) seem to get away with it?

I think the compatibility statement is a bit broad. The issue as I see it is the older separate regulator and rectifier systems are less controlled. Fitting a modern combined MOSFET reg/rect will alleviate that issue.

The real issue is with the battery itself. A good one will have a Battery Management System (BMS) this manages the charge state of the individual cells within the battery, it will stop the battery becoming "bricked" by cells becoming too discharged to charge or damaged by over charging. It should also limit the battery from supplying too much current and thus catching fire (Boeing had issues with this on their new Dreamliner)
Also there is the issue of counterfeit batteries, they do exist and would be lacking in the BMS etc. Counterfeits have been an issue for computer and phone suppliers for years.

You pay your money you take your choice..........

So its only a problem if you've got the original old separate reg and rec ?.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batteries/f/kawasaki/

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#18 PostAuthor: z1bman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:14 pm

even modern day bikes suffer combined regulator/ rectifier failure but mostly are down to not charging the battery enough rather than the original system overcharging & spilling acid out the breather all over your exhausts. i worked for a dealer & had never seen such an increase of batteries scrapped either because of the batteries being over charged through the motorcycle charging system or the batteries not being charged prior to being fitted to the motorcycle

Taffus

#19 PostAuthor: Taffus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:18 pm

chrisu wrote:
Taffus wrote:
rickm wrote:
RALPHARAMA wrote:The charging system on classic bikes is incompatible with lithium ion batteries.

I'd be interested to know more. Is it the charging rate or something about how it's regulated that is a problem?
Some folk (Mr Pigford?) seem to get away with it?

I think the compatibility statement is a bit broad. The issue as I see it is the older separate regulator and rectifier systems are less controlled. Fitting a modern combined MOSFET reg/rect will alleviate that issue.

The real issue is with the battery itself. A good one will have a Battery Management System (BMS) this manages the charge state of the individual cells within the battery, it will stop the battery becoming "bricked" by cells becoming too discharged to charge or damaged by over charging. It should also limit the battery from supplying too much current and thus catching fire (Boeing had issues with this on their new Dreamliner)
Also there is the issue of counterfeit batteries, they do exist and would be lacking in the BMS etc. Counterfeits have been an issue for computer and phone suppliers for years.

You pay your money you take your choice..........

So its only a problem if you've got the original old separate reg and rec ?.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batteries/f/kawasaki/

I would go with the separate system as 14.2V I and the BMS should manage the fluctuations

Return to “Bike Help”