Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

What is the best oil for my kz1000k Ltd ?

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Leelofty101
Regular Poster

What is the best oil for my kz1000k Ltd ?

#1 PostAuthor: Leelofty101 » Sat May 13, 2017 3:42 pm

Hi guys. Can i get some suggestions which oil is best to use for my kz1000k Ltd please. it's done 69k k/m and rattles a bit. I won't be doing more than a couple of thousand miles a year. The book says SE class-10/40,10/50,20/40,20/50.( I think) I know you have to use as original as possible because that's what the engine was built to take and not the new synthetic stuff. Best oil and filter combo suggestions would be good please.
Thanks

Redbeard
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: What is the best oil for my kz1000k Ltd ?

#2 PostAuthor: Redbeard » Sat May 13, 2017 4:28 pm

Lee you will get all sorts of conflicting info about oil. I have been using this (plus they are in Aylesbury and the chap I spoke to there was a classic jap bike owner/enthusiast and seemed to talk the talk);

https://www.classic-oils.net/Morris-Sport-4-10W40

I have heard the v-twin 20/50 is a good choice for high mileage engines and also the bike oil from Halfords works ok as well. Any minute now someone will be along to contradict everything I have said :D
1979 Z1000ST

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Al » Sat May 13, 2017 8:30 pm

Same as; sport 4 in cold weather and V twin 20/50 in hot weather from Morris.
AL
1981 J1

CAT3
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: CAT3 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:12 pm

The old "SE" class oil has been exceeded now for quite a few years. Not sure what the latest classification is, I'd imagine all modern oils exceed that "SE" classification by now.
My Z900 has over 70k miles on the clock now & I currently use Motul 5100 10W40 oil these days.
I was advised by Kawasaki themselves some years ago that a semi-synthetic oil is best suited to the Z900 engine. When I first bought the bike I used to use BP Visco Static 20W50 for many years until it became obsolete. I then changed to 10W40 & since using the thinner oil type the gearbox has never clunked as loud as it used to with the 20W50 type when selecting first gear at a standstill. Other than that I've never noticed any difference no matter what oil I've used. I have however always used good branded make oil & changed it every 1000 miles or thereabouts.
Just had a look at the Morris oil mentioned in the previous posts & it has "SL" classification so well exceeds the "SE" class recommended.
Filter wise I only ever use genuine oil filters, never pattern. I once looked at a pattern filter for my Z900, but the metal outer screen had a lot less holes in it than the OEM item & the holes although a larger diameter were spaced further apart. It just looked cheap & not as good so I was never tempted to use them. I'm sure many people use them & have done for many years with no ill effects, it's just personnel preference.

Leelofty101
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: Leelofty101 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:24 am

Again you guys to the rescue.Many thanks guys.

Return to “Bike Help”