Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Fitting an oil cooler

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

gray
100Club
100Club

Fitting an oil cooler

#1 PostAuthor: gray » Sun May 21, 2017 12:36 pm

I'm thinking about fitting an oil cooler to my Z9. I've found a dinky wee cooler, and organised the takeoffs , but I have a question.
Does it matter if the oil feed pipes feed in from above the cooler or below? I don't like the look of the pipes snaking round the side of the engine , so I though about thin pipes going over the top , and into the cooler from above.
Is there a basic issue here that I'm unaware if? I'm aware of the hassle with valve clearance access and heat to the tank obviously and will try to do my best with those issues.
Gray
gray

chrisu

Re: Fitting an oil cooler

#2 PostAuthor: chrisu » Sun May 21, 2017 3:06 pm

either way is fine - i've got one of each type !

You will get a bit more oil in if you go 'over the top' so to speak.

I've also seen where the pipes go completely under the engine - not tried that one personally.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#3 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sun May 21, 2017 5:21 pm

Over top is good as (already said by Chris) hold a bit more oil as it doesn't all flow back into engine - this may also be better as oil will get to vital bits quicker! If you have the option a "top fed" cooler will be best for this.

I fitted mine (on the A4) running under the engine as the cooler has bottom feed (snigger)..... and I like this option better than around side of motor as it's less obvious.

L1030602.JPG

L1030601.JPG

L1030603.JPG
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

freddyz1r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#4 PostAuthor: freddyz1r » Sun May 21, 2017 6:10 pm

As already said you can route any way.
consider a few things when 'trial routing' ; on one of mine I've done the same as pigford = underneath (I managed to catch a oil pipe on the exhaust downpipes :oops: ) you must makes sure there's no chance of movement / enough clearance as the oil pipes go past through the downpipes.
over the top /under the tank = I struggled a little for clearance/turn at the back of the tank and the oil pipes get in the way when you want to get at the carbs.
I'd suggest you get your cold bike, 2 lengths of rubber hose, a handful of tie wraps and have a play :shock: you'll soon work out what suits you.
Cheers freddy :D
Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

It's not me who can't keep a secret. It's the people I tell that can't.

freddyz1r
PUM 329

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#5 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Mon May 22, 2017 11:50 am

GPZ1100's run the cooler pipes between carbs 1/2 and 3/4 and over the engine, they even have a small plate between the top carb rubber fixing screws to hold the pipes in place. Basically the same engine, so there can't be an issue with doing it that way.

I would prefer oil in the top of the cooler for this reason - on start-up the pump has to fill the flow pipe that has filled up, then the oil in the cooler is pushed into the return pipe and into the engine where it continues on it's journey to create oil pressure.

If the entry is the bottom, the cooler emptys, so on start-up as well as filling the pipe, the pump has to fill the cooler before full pressure is achieved.

Now this is a bigger issue on a shell bearing engine, such as a Z650, but is it 0.5 second, 1 seconds, 2 seconds or more longer before pressure is achieved, even if it's milliseconds, why would you make that choice if there was an option?
Cheers,

Mark.

Return to “Bike Help”