Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1 engine paint - Eastwood

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

RBY
Regular Poster

Z1 engine paint - Eastwood

#1 PostAuthor: RBY » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:22 am

Hi, I have tried to read the many useful threads on paint options for my '73 Z1 engine repaint but unfortunately not many of the options are available down here in the colonies. I have been able to get some Eastwood High Temp Ceramic Engine Paint Matte Black 13786ZP with Urethane Activator, heat resistant to 650F. Not as high a temp as the Wurth rattle cans but the Eastwood comes in a quart can so I could use with a decent spray gun. Just wondered if anyone has any experience with this paint on engines?

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: Z1 engine paint - Eastwood

#2 PostAuthor: swampy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:44 pm

Swap it for satin. Eastwood products have a good rep though. I personally used simoniz m/c heat dispersant pait in satin black, top quslity stuff i would reccomend to anyone.
If you have access to a paint gun. You can invert the can and discahrge gas propellent. Then puncture can(carefully) and decant into gun.
Motor biking, motor biking, going down the queens highway like a rasher streaky bacon!

johny brando
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: johny brando » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:22 pm

I'm unaware if this has prior been mentioned but PJ-1 ....Spray Paint Cans ( American product I think ! ) is available in Australia ...It's good gear , a bit expensive, a bit hard to find.. but it's out there !!! It's designed & meant for Engine application & good, it's available in Matt- Satin & Gloss Black + in a Engine finish Silver /Grey too. I've used it on XT-500 engines that I've built & when cured it is Petrol & Oil proof ( ideally - it's best cured in an Oven... but it clearly states too that it will cure with use on a hot engine ...just be aware of fuel & oil if it's not cured.... may damage the finish ). Hope this helps ....I'll have quick Google search and PM you if I can find it here in Oz & you can can then contact the seller. Cheers Johny B.

pertonpc
ZedHead
ZedHead

#4 PostAuthor: pertonpc » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:19 am

I used simoniz tough black satin spray http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Simoniz-L ... Swt6ZWWJDQ

Seemed ok on Z1-R to match the original finish.

Cans used to be blue but the advert shows the new stock colour.

Z1-R D1, Z650 B2, Z1-B & ZRX 1200 A1P Catch 'em if you can at www.Zedrider.co.uk

RBY
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: RBY » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:51 am

Thanks guys for the feedback and info. Some threads on the PJ1 suggest formula has changed to meet USA regs so may not be as good as in the past - will try to source some anyway. In the meantime I am trying both Wurth rattle can and Eastwood 2K on an old Hodna engine casing to compare finish and heat resistance. Will post findings in due course.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:19 am

Don't waste you money on the PJ1, it is useless since they changed the formula.
Simoniz/Sperex Tough black satin is the stuff to go for.
It behaves like the old PJ1 and is solvent resistant once cured.
It's easy to find on ebay and there are muti can buys which work out cheaper.
Here's a link to an original can, the newer cans have changed to a black label but a long as it says Tough black it is the same stuff.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Simoniz-Tough ... SwxH1T4fuE

RBY
Regular Poster

#7 PostAuthor: RBY » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:17 am

Thanks zed1015 - can't find any PJ1 in this part of the world anyway. The Simoniz was always a starter but no stockists in NZ - their European office suggested I contact a Holts Duplicolour stockist here, which went nowhere. Unfortunately the online sellers of rattle cans wont ship to NZ - I've tried a few and the only one willing wanted to charge mega bucks for shipping hazardous substance. Surprisingly Wurth have an office/warehouse right here in little ol' Christchurch and they had the Matt Black Heat Resistant 650C cans in stock (# 0893 359 005). My trial application of Wurth and Eastwood products on an old Hodna casing is nearly finished - will try to post photo and comments once cured.

RBY
Regular Poster

#8 PostAuthor: RBY » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:31 am

Ok sprayed LH side with Wurth Matt Black Heat Resistant rattle can, RH side brush painted with Eastwood High Temp Ceramic Engine Paint + Activator (hence brush marks). After air drying the Eastwood had a higher sheen than Wurth but after oven curing (while the wife was out) they are about the same and both damn close to original. Rubbed both with petrol, wax & grease remover and straight Xylene - no colour loss onto the rag and no effect to either paint finishes. Finally whacked it in the Broil King BBQ (wife had returned so thought better not use the oven) and cranked it up to 500F - both finishes still looked fine, no flaking or colour change. So still not sure which one to use. Favour the Eastwood product as it is a 2K paint and I can take it to a professional spray painter rather than me faffing around with rattle cans - decisions, decisions.....
IMG_4455.JPG

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:26 am

It is the Wurth Satin or Simoniz Satin black (if you can get it there) which comes out as a perfect match for the original.
Last edited by zed1015 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

pertonpc
ZedHead
ZedHead

#10 PostAuthor: pertonpc » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:41 am

don't do the brush mark one !!!
Z1-R D1, Z650 B2, Z1-B & ZRX 1200 A1P Catch 'em if you can at www.Zedrider.co.uk

RBY
Regular Poster

#11 PostAuthor: RBY » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:14 pm

LH side is Wurth, can't get Simoniz here in NZ. Brush marks with the Eastwood because I don't have a spray gun. The exercise was to compare matt finish of each against original plus check/compare heat resistance. I still have most of the litre can of Eastwood paint and 250ml can of activator (only mixed up small quantity for test) so can take this to a professional spray shop once I dismantle the engine.

trikerdrew
100Club
100Club

#12 PostAuthor: trikerdrew » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:28 pm

No idea if you have breathing gear , or not?

2k will stick just fine onto engine-Any colour you like then.

drew

RBY
Regular Poster

#13 PostAuthor: RBY » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:55 pm

Just an update for any future viewers of this thread, I stripped back the hand brushed Eastwood paint and got that side redone using spray gun, then checked the match with my original engine before I get it blasted. Behind chain cover casing was best area as not faded or dull like the cylinder and head. Looked at this for ages, in different light and different areas - Eastwood engine paint is closer match than the Wurth, to my eye, and 2 pack to boot. Will post a photo when I finally get the job done.

RBY
Regular Poster

#14 PostAuthor: RBY » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:58 pm

Just an update for any future viewers of this thread, I stripped back the hand brushed Eastwood paint and got that side redone using spray gun, then checked the match with my original engine before I get it blasted. Behind chain cover casing was best area as not faded or dull like the cylinder and head. Looked at this for ages, in different light and different areas - Eastwood engine paint is closer match than the Wurth, to my eye, and 2 pack to boot. Will post a photo when I finally get the job done.
Attachments
IMG_4663.JPG

Big Fluff
Hardcore
Hardcore

#15 PostAuthor: Big Fluff » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:37 am

Yes Simoniz all the way.
I've just painted the top end on this Molly Z1R-TC and it's beautiful as always.
Attachments
20170927_153331.jpg
Kawasaki GPz750T, Kawasaki ZRX1100R, Kawasaki GPZ1000RX, H**** VF1000RG Rothmans, H**** VF500F2F, H**** CB1100RD, Suzuki GSX1100EFE, H**** XL125K2

Return to “Bike Help”