Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Standard speedo 17" Wheel

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Dunlop4
100Club
100Club

Standard speedo 17" Wheel

#1 PostAuthor: Dunlop4 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:05 pm

I have a Suzuki front end on a z1000a2, which is fitted with a 17" wheel. The speedo runs fast, has anyone found a solution to this problem.

Charlie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: Standard speedo 17" Wheel

#2 PostAuthor: Charlie » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:46 pm

Yes. Are you still using the Kawasaki speedo drive ?

I run an 18" CMA wheel with standard Zed clocks.

I changed the gear wheel in the front hub mounted speedo drive for one from an 18" model. The pinion drive in there stays standard though.

The gear I used was a 41060-1010. You need to do something similar. My speedo now works perfectly.
Why do I persist in debating with idiots ? I really should know better :)

Dunlop4
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: Dunlop4 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:49 pm

I am using using a complete front end off a gsxr750 wp connected to a patern z1000a2 clock

Charlie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: Charlie » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:32 pm

Well Suzuki and Kawasaki both use a 2.1 to 1 speedometer drive ratio, so if you have the correct Suzuki speedo drive for the 17" wheel you are using, it should indicate correctly.

If you were using the Kawasaki 19" wheel type speedo drive, then you would need to locate another one from a 17" model to allow the speedo to work correctly.

That said, those pattern clocks over-read by up to 10/15% anyway. I know as I have one and tested how far out it was. I had a new face fitted to (near enough) correct it. The speed increments are in different places on genuine to pattern clocks ...

What you may be seeing even with the Suzuki speedo drive, is just how pants those aftermarket clocks are. They are not built to anything like the quality of the originals, even though they appear similar.

I guess you need to source a genuine clock (even if you only borrow it to see any difference) or re calibrate your speedo face.
Why do I persist in debating with idiots ? I really should know better :)

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:39 pm

Return to “Bike Help”