Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

worst Z900 ever finally working!!!

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Phil50
Regular Poster

worst Z900 ever finally working!!!

#1 PostAuthor: Phil50 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:22 pm

Hi all,

I have not posted for some time, so I thought I should follow up on the problems I have had.

I purchased the bike in 2008 and had to almost sue the shop as it had so many faults and problems.

I spent £1800 on it and finally it rode very well. It had Z1000 carbs on it and the local garage I used was more like a machine shop than a garage.

In other words, they knew what the hell they were doing regarding vintage bikes.

After a few years I decided to get all the casing and engine fully restored to original finish.

Also all the paintwork and wheels ect, etc.

That was my biggest mistake of all.

Your reference is "If its not broke don't fix it".

Any way I handed the bike to an old colleague whom I thoght new what the hell he was doing.

Well this chap did all the work at a very good price and the cosmetic side of it was excellent.

The bike broke down on the way home as he did not even test drive it.

You all may recall I had this oil pumping up into the air box.

The "chap" I shall call him "the castswhiskersofz900" and you will know who it is.

He very soon dropped me as a customer as he had no clue what was going on.

Worse, he did not care, still with his heart condition nature will take of him sooner than later.

He is a good cosmetic chap but knows FUCK ALL about real engines and REAL problems.

I spent a lot of money and had a re bore and a whole host of so called solutions.

I found the problem myself by returning to the basics of Z900 engine design and the workshop manual.

I bought an oil pressure gauge and had a converter BSP to MM plug made and the fault was there.

Oil pressure drops after a short run, intermittently

I returned the bike to the original mechanic with his machine shop and he found a piece of plastic left in the oil return tube to the sump.

This was left in by the "polisher". I do not blame him I blame the cretinous "the castswhiskersofz900" who never bothered to check the bike before giving it back.

Who then ran away from the problem when asked to sort it out.

What a lousy bastard shithouse he turned out to be.

But then I know why he was thrown out of his family home when caught with Sally.

HA HA HA Do not ask I will never tell, we all just laugh about his perversion.

Back to the bike, all fixed and that was it.

Then like an idiot, wanting original carbs I bought a set of "working" Z900 carbs and fitted them.

Lots of problems.

I sent them away for full refurbishment. It cost a fortune and not even the jets were replaced.

They were just "cleaned", after two years they return to the original colur and shade.

DO NOW WASTE MONEY HAVING YOUR CARBS POLISHED AND "TREATED".

Simply use a dremel and polish pad and solvol autosol, does the same job.

Cost is bugger all.

I replaced all the jets with an expensive Keyster kit and it was even worse.

Flat spots all over the place.

I eventually left it till the new year and took it to a Dyno centre.

They had it for a week and I collected it and test drove it.

No better than when it went in. I was furious.

I left it, went back a few days later and they claimed to have fixed it.

It was running so rich it never needed choke to start it. But it did run well for three days

It soon had starting problems and running problems again.

This year I had enough of this shit, I removed these bastard carbs and put the old Z1000 ones I I got from Texas USA and now its like my old bike again.

Inspecting the carbs showed the Dyno boys had put the needles up one notch for richness but put main jets in of size 105!!!!!!!!!!!

The standard size is 115 and even in the 70's I only ever went up to 120 jet with a four into one as it has on it now.

So, again DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY SPLASHING OUT ON FANCY DYNO EQUIPMENT.

These people have less knowledge than you do.

So I now have two sets of Z900 carbs that may go in the skip as one has flat spots and the other runs too rich.

The Z900 service manual had all the info I needed, and once I got working parts into the bike it all functions ok now.

It has taken 5 years and a lot of time and money.

When its time I shall take the bike back to the USA where she was first sold and spend my retirement there enjoying my bike.

The moral of this tale is:

Never give up, never surrender, and NEVER let any "hobbyist" touch your bike.

Just make sure you have good tested parts fitted and read the service manual yourself.

Have a set of old trusty vacuum carbs with dial gauges, do NOT use the new non mercury gauges they are rubbish.

They just explode every time you rev up on test.

The only benefit to all this bollocks is I have learnt so much I will never have to use a garage again. Only for MOT

I wish you all happy biking.

regards
Phil50

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: worst Z900 ever finally working!!!

#2 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:22 pm

Thats quite an epic,just goes to prove the old adage if you want a job doing right do it yourself..
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

Return to “Bike Help”