Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Brake pads

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Wrigers
100Club
100Club

Brake pads

#1 PostAuthor: Wrigers » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:50 am

Just a quick one on the brake pads on a A4. Just fitting some new pads but the one that fits on the piston through the caliper bracket is a tight fit to the point that it does not move. Should it be a tight fit or loose so it moves freely through the bracket.

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Brake pads

#2 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:47 am

Had probs meself with a4 pads,pads should be able to slide freely on the pins,dress the edges so they do,as an aside some seem too thick as well and bind on the rotor,i reckon there are two thicknesses of friction material on available pads,one suitable for the double disc rotor 5mm and one for the single 7mm disc rotor,find non sintered type to be less noisy and not so harsh on the rotor....Cheers Paul J
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

Wrigers
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: Wrigers » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:11 pm

Cheers Paul, just wanted to make sure before I set about them.

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#4 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:20 pm

PAULJAC47 wrote:Had probs meself with a4 pads,pads should be able to slide freely on the pins,dress the edges so they do,as an aside some seem too thick as well and bind on the rotor,i reckon there are two thicknesses of friction material on available pads,one suitable for the double disc rotor 5mm and one for the single 7mm disc rotor,find non sintered type to be less noisy and not so harsh on the rotor....Cheers Paul J

Never thought of this, maybe that's why I couldn't get some pads in my rear caliper with the dust seal still on??
Cheers,

Mark.

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:32 pm

Yep had me stumped a while back,had me taking off friction material with emery on a piece of glass till i thought of that scenario :roll:
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.

Anon

PUM 673

Return to “Bike Help”