Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1000A1 Electrical box queries

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

csx355
100Club
100Club

Z1000A1 Electrical box queries

#1 PostAuthor: csx355 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:17 pm

Hi all - little hold up on the engine assembly gave me the time to have a poke around with the wiring. This has raised a couple of issues. Pics attached.
IMG_0123.JPG
IMG_0122.JPG

1. What is the white plug on the wiring block - I don't have anything to plug into this and am not sure where it goes or what the loom needed for it is. If anyone has got one spare I would be happy to buy it.

2. It looks like someone previously has swapped out the original fuse box for a bladed arrangement. Again any tips on if this should be kept or put back to original would be gratefully received. Again I dont have a fuse box so if anyone has one surplus to sell that would be ace.

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Z1000A1 Electrical box queries

#2 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:25 pm

White is the socket for the rectifier,looks like you dont have one on the panel,green should be the voltage regulator and blue is the genny input,brown is the loom,has the bike been converted to combined reg/rect unit? fuse box dont look too clever would go back original meself...Paul J
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

csx355
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: csx355 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:53 pm

Thanks Paul - all I have on the other side is one of these
IMG_0129.JPG
IMG_0128.JPG
Sorry to sound thick but I only got a load of bits that were basically from one bike, but who knows?There have been some wiring alterations on the original loom which was just a mess in a carrier bag, so I bought a new Zpower one.

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:25 pm

Yep looks like a generic combined regulator /rectifier,would go ahead and re use,dig it out and let me know if its 5 or 6 wire unit and i will tell you how to wire up and test..bye the way its best to mount these units were there is a good airflow to aid cooling,on an a4 a good place is under the battery box,may be poss on your thou..Paul J
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

-Han Solo

Anon

PUM 673

csx355
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: csx355 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:42 pm

Cheers Paul - it looks like a six wire setup - two looms with three in each.
IMG_0137.JPG
IMG_0136.JPG

Apologies for the poor pics I had packed everything away for the day. Grandson time!

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:54 pm

Three yellows are genny outputs any order to the black blue and green,on other loom black is volt sensing put that to live side of the back brake switch so unit goes hot when ign on,the green is frame earth,the red?old braided cable is the feed to the battery live...with engine running you should get about 50 v ac between any of the 3 genny yellows,look for around 14.6 dc across battery at 3k revs..Cheers Paul J

-Han Solo

Anon

PUM 673

csx355
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: csx355 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:01 pm

Many thanks Paul - I will have another prod about on my next free day.

csx355
100Club
100Club

#8 PostAuthor: csx355 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:22 pm

4D42AD8A-A904-4559-B6E3-0551C1A8A276.jpeg
C4544906-3CA4-436A-99FB-8E776B3187D1.jpeg

Happy new year every one - I managed to get an hour or so in on the bike today - and while some stuff went reasonably well I’m getting bogged down with other bits and pieces. Have to say electrics are not my strong point. My immediate issue is what are the connections to the three wires - black - black yellow and white that come from the rear of the multiple coloured connection block? The fixed connection panel under the side panel on the lh side of the bike. The wires come from the rear of the fixed side of the panel. I’m guessing blk/ yell is earth but I don’t have anything obvious to hook up to them.

On the same connection block I seem to have a permanent live feed to the top left black wire when I think it should be to the white lead just under it - that will then feed the ignition. The main loom is brand new from a power and there are some slight differences to my old loom such as my old handle bar switch gear cables ended in a multi plug whereas the new loom has individual bullet connecters - that was easily sorted. Just wandered if anyone else had these issues?

The works manual that I’m using only has a z1000a2 Euro model and again there are a few things on the diagram that I don’t have. Any help most welcome.

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: Philippe » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:18 am

Hi csx355

the black cable gives power to the starter relay and connects it to the starter button, the black-yellow is earth and the white gets the + pole connected to the contact switch in order to give "juice" to the whole bike.
I hope you get the loom right.
As far as the bullet connections on the main loom concernes: these are the correct ones for a Z1000A1 and A2. Originally the loom of the handlebar switchblocks ran through the handlebar and you can't put a six-pin connector through them. Later types as the MK2 or ST had six-pin connectors as the wires ran along the handlebar.
I think you have later type switches. Look at the side of the switches, there are date codes.
Electricity on an old bike can be very tricky! I needed two days to find out that the wiring of the right hand switch block was not compatible with the loom due to the fact that the connections between the different wires inside the loom were different! :vstoopid The lights didn't work...now they do!
Good luck
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

csx355
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: csx355 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:54 pm

Many thanks Philipe -

Black to the LT terminal on one side of the starter solenoid - check
Black / Yellow to convenient Frame Earth - check
White to + pole Connected to Contact switch - I'm not too sure about that one - sorry could you elaborate for me.

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: Philippe » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:54 pm

Hi csx355

there's a white cable coming from the starter solenoid, it's attached to the battery cable, connect this white cable to the white cable that comes from the main loom. It goes to the fuse box where it has a 20 Amp fuse, the main fuse. The current goes over that fuse to the main switch. I thought I saw on one of your pictures that you don't have a genuine fuse box...get one, that's where the white cable comes from.
Hope I explained it clearly ...
Good luck!
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#12 PostAuthor: Philippe » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:12 am

Hi csx355

I checked on my Z1000A1 this morning... I forgot to say I have an early US import... In that US loom there's an extra white wire connection.
If you have a European loom there's no extra connection. I have no idea which loom Z-Power provides, the US or the European.
So just to make sure: from the starter solenoid there's a wire with a double socket. One white wire which comes from the fuse box has to be plugged in there, another white wire which comes from the rectifier must allso be plugged in there.
If you have a combination of US and European parts and/or a combined regulator-rectifier you'll have to find it out yourself...sorry but I use the original parts provided with the wrecks I buy, I check them out before reusing them and swap them with similar parts when they fail.
Hope you can sort it out!
Good luck
Philippe

csx355
100Club
100Club

#13 PostAuthor: csx355 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:29 pm

Thanks Philippe - all done - I started from scratch today and got it sorted with the advice from yourself and Paul. I have put an update on the project thread.

Return to “Bike Help”