Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Rim offset

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

chrisw1
100Club
100Club

Rim offset

#1 PostAuthor: chrisw1 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:27 pm

Can anyone tell me the standard offset for Z1B wheels please
I have the rims , hubs and spokes but not a complete wheel to measure from
Thanks Chris

A1John
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: Rim offset

#2 PostAuthor: A1John » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:00 pm

no offset

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:40 am

Hi Chris

I hope you have some experience in rebuilding spoked wheels?
If not, I'm ready to give some advice.
Greetings from Belgium
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

chrisw1
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: chrisw1 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:56 pm

Hi Philipe .this will only be my second set and the first set I did was 20 years ago so cant really remember the methods
Anny advice you can offer would be helpful

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:39 pm

On my Z1B - to both wheels. The centre line of hub lines through with centre line of the rim. So no offset. Good luck with the respoke.
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: Philippe » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:06 am

Hi Chris

sorry it took a few days but here's the advice:
General information:
when you use a Z1B hub you need a Takasago 303 rim front and back
NEVER use a 305 rim on a Z1B hub ( the spokes have a different angle)
On a 303 rim the information is , to my knowledge on the left side of it!
There are 40 spokes , 20 for the inside, 20 for the outside. Sort them out before you start!
Tips on construction:
look at the hub for the marks of the old spokes. On one side of the hub they run in the same direction.
These are the marks of the spokes that run on the outside.
Choose a hole in the hub between two marks and put a spoke through that hole.
Put the spoke from the outside through the hole. Do that 10 times ad point the spokes in the opposite direction of the old markings on the hub.
Use a rubber band to keep the spokes together.
Do the same on the other side of the hub.
Decide which side you'll do first, left or right and place the rim with the correct side around the hub with the spokes.
Remove the rubber band and roughly place the spokes in the correct angle.
Determine which hole in the rim points in the correct direction of the spokes.
Put the spokes through the holes of the rim and screw the nipples on them . Don't tighten the nipples!
Turn the whole thing around and mount the other 10 spokes. If done correctly the spokes seem to cross each other.
Turn the 20 nipples loosely on the spokes, you'll see that the wheel starts to have the correct appearance.
Take the 20 remaining spokes, those who run on the outside of the hub.
Put 10 of them through the holes in one side of the hub, starting from the inside to the outside and put them in the corresponding holes in the rim, put the nipples on, and again, don't tighten them.
Do the same with the 10 remaining spokes.
If done correctly you'll see that the spokes make groups of 4 and there's a triple crossing of them.
If not...do the whole procedure over, you've made a mistake by determining the correct hole in the rim for the corresponding spoke. Don't worry it happened to me allso a few times.
Start tightening the nipples on all the spokes, do it slowly, a few turns each time and work your way around the wheel.
At a certain moment the center line of the hub and the center line of the rim align with eachother.
Now comes the tricky part: tightening the nipples so that the wheel turns without wobbling.
Put the axle through the hub, lay it on a workmate so that the wheel can turn freely and spin it around.
Mark the spot where the rim wobbles and adjust the spokes by tightening or loosening the nipples.
Repeat that procedure untill there's allmost no wobbling . It's important to have a safe ride.
That can take a while and don't give up to quickly.
If done correctly tighten the nipples so that when you spin the wheel all the spokes give a clear sound when you hold your finger tip against them. Be carefull, don't hurt your finger!
A dull sound of one or more spokes indicate that the nipple is not tightened enough!
I hope you'll achieve the task to your satisfaction and that my explanation is clear enough.
Good luck !!
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Return to “Bike Help”