Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Starting up from cold.

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

crossthread
Regular Poster

Starting up from cold.

#1 PostAuthor: crossthread » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:37 pm

First some background . It's a 1979 mk 2 A3 . Compressions , shims , float levels , carb balance , timing , all checked . Pod filters , 4 into 1 , pilot jets upped to 17.5 . Carbs been cleaned. So far so good . My starting procedure from cold goes , fuel on , a few seconds to fill carbs , choke on full , ( ok , I know it's an enrichment circuit but it says choke on the lever) no throttle and push the button . Bike fires almost immediately on all 4 and revs race up to 3500 . This pushes my mechanical sympathy button , don't like revving a cold engine , so choke off , revs die and I try to catch it on the throttle . Cough , cough , spit , spit , too lean , so choke on and revs rise to 3500 . choke off , and repeat the process . This only lasts about 15 seconds and I can catch it on the throttle and everything settles down . No problems on the road , runs well . Is it me or the bike ????? It's my first Z , I'm more used to things old and British .

warren3200gt
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Starting up from cold.

#2 PostAuthor: warren3200gt » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:46 pm

Start sequence is the same for me but the choke on/off. Once its starts and revs to 3.5k i back the choke slowly to the desired revs then leave it to warm up. Once warm enough to run with choke fully off then go riding :D
PUM 488 June 2023
76 Z900A4, 77 Z650B1, 77 KZ650B1, 77 Z1000A1, 82 Z1000J2, ZRX1100R.

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:34 pm

Hi crossthread

having some old Kawasakis myself, I understand you completely!
I don't like high revs when the engine is cold but that's the way it is with our old beasts.
Just do like warren3200gt wrote: start with full choke and when it runs, back it in slowly.
Don't wait to long to start riding. I ride the bike as soon as the engine responds to the throttle. I start slowly and when it runs normal, I close the choke completely and I enjoy the ride. Don't expect to much response when the engine is cold, give it some time to warm up.
Cheers
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:00 pm

kawasaki's have always revved their knackers off just use the choke like a throttle until its warmed up enough to run without the choke :lol: :lol: :lol:

crossthread
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: crossthread » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:01 pm

Thanks Guys . Every day is a school day . It still goes against the grain to rev the nuts off a cold engine though . I'm also learning how finicky these old girls are . With my old Brit stuff so long as the carb is actually attached to the engine , its got petrol , and the spark occurs somewhere around the compression stroke then it will run fine. With my modern Jap stuff it's ride and forget . Seems an old Z is worse than having kids , it's a commitment for life . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Bike Help”