Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Any advice please for first start in a very long time.

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

bobajob
Regular Poster

Any advice please for first start in a very long time.

#1 PostAuthor: bobajob » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:19 pm

Hi folks, hope you don't mind me asking this!!! I have Had this bike since 97 and rode it up to 2010, took it off the road that winter, drained the floats but pretty much did nothing else as I expected to be using it again next spring, somehow life gets in the way as it does and have had several failed very poor attempts at putting her back on the road since bit never actually getting round to trying to starting her!
A credit to Kawasaki that riding this bike all that time, excluding consumables/servicing, only ever needed a fuse replacing. Considered selling a couple of times but early retirement may be looming so seems the perfect time to reacquaint with the old girl! I digress, bottom line is, I never needed to learn that much as it was utterly reliable so I'm not really up on the fettling side. I plan just to replace battery, put fuel in and hope the floats don't stick, oil/ filter, plugs, getting it turning over, spray a bit of WD without plugs - get the oil to circulate for a good while then basically light the blue touch paper. Probably a dumb question for most of you on here but Is there anything screaming out that this layman is missing - do's/ don't for trying to start the bike for the first time in 7 years? I would need counselling if I seized it!

bobajob
Regular Poster

Re: Any advice please for first start in a very long time.

#2 PostAuthor: bobajob » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:21 pm

I tried to add a photo, try again!
Attachments
P1010038.JPG
P1010038.JPG (187.69 KiB) Viewed 6144 times

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: z1bman » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:41 pm

if the carb's have been drained i would put fresh fuel in the tank discard any old fuel. remove the plugs & spin the engine over on the starter a couple of times & make sure the oil light goes of then replace the plugs & fire it up to see what it runs like. you can change the oil & filter when you know if its running ok

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Philippe » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:05 am

Hi bobajob

as mentioned by z1bman, try to get the engine running, change the oil and oil filter.
Don't forget before you start riding again to change the brake oil,the front suspension oil and the tires even if they're not worn yet. The rubber tends to become hard after many years, so for your own safety put new ones on!
Let the good times roll !
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Philippe » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:25 am

Hi bobajob

just forgot to mention: Very Nice Bike !
oh and before I forget it again: keep in mind that the clutchplates can stick due to the long time it didn't work.
So before you engage the first gear, get on the bike, use the clutch AND the front brake . This might prevent that your bike takes a jump. The worst thing that can happen in that case is that the engine stalls.
Sometimes the clutchplates disengage after a warm up, sometimes you have to take the clutch apart, put new oil on all the plates and put it together again.
Cheers
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Mr Bump
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: Mr Bump » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:04 pm

If its churning over and not firing blow down one of the float bowl breather hoses until you hear it gurgle, then try again. It primes up the choke and pilot circuit, floods a little and generally gives it something to chew on so it fires. Like ‘tickling ‘ and old school amal.

Breather pipes probably exit though an oval hole in the frame above the airbox (if its the same as a z1000)

Olly
'In your twenties you think you are immortal, in your thirties you hope you are immortal, in your forties you just hope it doesn't hurt too much'

Lemmy

BigZCas
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: BigZCas » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:31 pm

I would put the cat outside and have a go at starting it yourself :lol:
Past 5 Years
1974 UK Z1a, Candy Tone Brown/Orange
1976 KZ900a4, Diamond Dark Green
1978 KZ1000a2, Luminous Green
1976 KZ1000a1, Red
1972 GT750J, Candy Lavender

bobajob
Regular Poster

#8 PostAuthor: bobajob » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:27 pm

I think the cat has sat on it more than me :) . Thanks for the replies and advice. Christmas project is on!!!

johny brando
100Club
100Club

#9 PostAuthor: johny brando » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:30 am

As per z1bman says above . I'd personally also run a slightly generous measure of valve saver / top end lube in the tank so as to give the valve stems & guides + rings & bores a bit of happy time .....I have been running it all the time for years & years now ....it can only help & reduce wear = win / win. I'd then get the oil up to normal temp & dump it plus the oil filter ...& maybe consider changing your rubber too = old , hardened & dangerous now ...& in my opinion - Bridgestone BT45's are the way to go. Thats a loverly bike & a credit to you ! Cheers Johny Brando.

marlin
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#10 PostAuthor: marlin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:13 am

spark plugs out a drop of fresh oil down the bores , cam cover off fresh oil around cam lobes so not dry when you first turn it over , turn over quite a few times and you should have no problems , cheers marlin

000zeds
ZedHead
ZedHead

#11 PostAuthor: 000zeds » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:59 am

Kick it over holding clutch lever in will free up the clutch plates :!:
Zeds-R-Us

cancunia
Regular Poster

#12 PostAuthor: cancunia » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:38 am

Mr Bump wrote:If its churning over and not firing blow down one of the float bowl breather hoses until you hear it gurgle, then try again. It primes up the choke and pilot circuit, floods a little and generally gives it something to chew on so it fires. Like ‘tickling ‘ and old school amal.

Breather pipes probably exit though an oval hole in the frame above the airbox (if its the same as a z1000)

Olly

Amazing! After more than 40 years of playing with engines, I only came across this tip a few weeks ago for getting my '97 Suzuki scooter to start when it's been sitting for a few weeks. The only alternative was squirting something in the plug hole. I can vouch for this method 100% as a way to prime the carb(s). My Z900 will be started next year after quite some time so it's nice to know that trick works here too.

bobajob
Regular Poster

#13 PostAuthor: bobajob » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:25 pm

I never got road to starting the Z1 from the original topic, still sitting there and another summer is now obviously going to pass.. I would appreciate a bit more advice please as considering selling them both now as don't think I will ever get round to doing anything to either bike. What I would like to know is would I get a better return if both bikes are fully road worthy or a bit of a swing and a roundabout? Both good but not started in a long time, 2010 for the z1 and 1999 for the red bike. Both will require a full recommissioning , including brake repairs, tyres etc, and z1 has a bit of an oil leak. The red one is a non standard 750 twin b1/b3 cobble. Added couple of photos (hopefully) to give an idea..
Cheers
Attachments
DSC09296.JPG
DSC09295.JPG
DSC09294.JPG

wheelysteve
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#14 PostAuthor: wheelysteve » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:38 pm

I would be interested in taking that pesky Z1A off your hands if you come to sell it.

Steve
1975 Z1B Candy Red/Blue
1975 Dogs Z1B
1976 Z900 A4
1977 Z650B1
1978 Z650B2
1978 KZ1000D Z1R
Yam Tracer 900GT

PUM 710

bobajob
Regular Poster

#15 PostAuthor: bobajob » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Thanks for the reply Steve, will let you know if I do. Would be nice to sell together but guessing highly unlikely someone will want both bikes.

Return to “Bike Help”