Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Twenty Eight

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

nicomkii
100Club
100Club

Twenty Eight

#1 PostAuthor: nicomkii » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Im thinking Ive stuffed up with the cams on the MkII by a link. I have set up the front cam with mark as per book

0 - 1 (21).jpg
0 - 1 (21).jpg (329.8 KiB) Viewed 1657 times

Then counted twenty eight pins back and this is where I think I've stuffed it, Ive taken 28th as the one behind the mark,
0 - 2.jpg
0 - 2.jpg (312.26 KiB) Viewed 1657 times

Should it roll forward so the 28th is just in front of the mark ? ( 28th in my case being indicated by scribe )
0 - 3.jpg
0 - 3.jpg (312.83 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
Nico

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Twenty Eight

#2 PostAuthor: z1bman » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:14 pm

the cams should be in this position when the timing is correct . look at the cut outs at the end of the cams they should be half submerged below the cylinder head surface
Attachments
IMG_0843.JPG
IMG_0843.JPG (181.55 KiB) Viewed 1650 times

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Philippe » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:56 am

Hi Nicomkii
read the repair maual again. Regarding the pics you've posted, I 'm afraid you've made a mistake.
You'll have to start all over again.
Turn the cranckshaft so that pistons 1 and 4 are at the top. Pull the camchain taut. Start with the exhaust camschaft.
Put the mark on the sprocket of the exhaust camshaft equal with the top of the cilinderhead. The lobe of the fourth exhaust valve should point to the rear.
Tighten the bolts of the caps and check the position of the cranckshaft and the camshaft again after tightening the caps.
Start counting the pins of the camchain. The first pin is the one just above the mark on the sprocket of the exhaust camshaft.
Pin 28 of the camchain should be positioned at the arrow and on the "28" mark on the sprocket of the intake camshaft. Count them again and again so that you're sure they're at the correct position. Check the position of the cranckshaft again!
If you're sure the camshafts are both in the correct position tighten the bolts of the caps of the intake camshaft.
The lobe of the fourth intake valve must point to the front!
Just like in the picture Z1Bman added in his reply!
Mount the upper idler and then the camchain tensioner.
Start rotating the cranckshaft by hand using a 17 mm spanner. It should go round easy. If you encounter any hard spot when rotating the cranckshaft, stop! Loosen evrything and start the whole procedure from the beginning.
If there's no hard spot it's OK. Rotate the cranckshaft several times to make sure that the timing is correct. Two rotations of the cranckshaft gives one rotation of the camshafts.
When the timing is correct the lobes of the fourth valves of the camshafts will point to eachother after a full rotation of the camshafts, just like in the picture of Z1Bman.
Good luck!
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Philippe » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:01 am

Hi Nicomkii

if my explanation above is not clear enough, go to the site of Z-power UK, click on top of the "home page" on "Z-info", scroll down and find a clear picture of how to set the correct timing.
Take a good look on how the camshafts must be placed and how the sprockets look if they're in the correct position.
Good luck
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Return to “Bike Help”