Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Denso Spark Plugs

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

AlanB
100Club
100Club

Denso Spark Plugs

#1 PostAuthor: AlanB » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:32 pm

Gonna change the NGKs on my 79 Z1000 for Denso's next time so are W24ESR-U the correct ones to use ? cheers all :roll:

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Denso Spark Plugs

#2 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:19 pm

Depending on plug cap you want W24ESR-U for resistor type or Denso W24ES-U for the stock NGK B8ES non resistor equivalent or Denso IW24 for Denso iridiums.
If going hotter or colder then Denso 22 is NGK 7 equivalent heat range and Denso 27 for NGK 9 .

AlanB
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: AlanB » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:32 pm

Ummm I've got B8ES plugs now so would resistor R type Denso's not be right ? sorry to appear thick !!

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Philippe » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:25 am

Hi Alan

in my experience the "R"-type spark plugs are not good, they fail after a few short runs, I think the "R" stands for "Really fast broken" instead of "Resistance". :(
I use the NGK B8ES and I'm satisfied, I have no experience with the Nippon Denso spark plugs.
Good luck
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#5 PostAuthor: Pigford » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:31 am

Treat yourself to decent IW24 Denso's (Iridium) - been running those for years in all me Zeds & they've never let me down, unlike NGK
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

chrisu

#6 PostAuthor: chrisu » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:52 am

What piggy says

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:41 am

Ditto two many cheap copy Chines Ngk,s about.
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:56 am

AlanB wrote:Ummm I've got B8ES plugs now so would resistor R type Denso's not be right ? sorry to appear thick !!

Use Denso non resistor W24ES-U as a straight substitute for the NGK B8ES.
B8ES's are non resistor.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:03 am

PAULJAC47 wrote:Ditto two many cheap copy Chines Ngk,s about.

Never had any trouble with genuine NGK's.
Chinky copies are easy to spot.
http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/te ... index.html

AlanB
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: AlanB » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:43 pm

Just thought I would ask Sparkplugs.co.uk as when I search that site for suitable plugs for a 79 Z1000 it suggests the Resistor (W24ESR-U) type - They say that Denso only recommend the resistor type (Or Iridium which also has a resistor) for any Z1000 model and if I decide on the non resistor (W24ES-U) type, there will be no come back if any probs etc !! Any thoughts guys ? :roll:

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:17 pm

I have published this from NGK before but still worth a read.

Spark Plugs for Classic Engines.pdf
(57.5 KiB) Downloaded 148 times

AlanB
100Club
100Club

#12 PostAuthor: AlanB » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:04 pm

If I decide to treat myself to Denso IW24 Iridium plugs, will they fit and work with stock ignition/plug caps etc (Currently using B8ES NGK plugs) as I understand they are "Resistor" plugs too ? Cheers. :roll:

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#13 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:41 pm

AlanB wrote:If I decide to treat myself to Denso IW24 Iridium plugs, will they fit and work with stock ignition/plug caps etc (Currently using B8ES NGK plugs) as I understand they are "Resistor" plugs too ? Cheers. :roll:

BR8ES is the resistor version of the B8ES you have been using, so you have not been using resistor plugs.

Theoretically, you don't need resistor plugs if you have resistor caps. In reality however, the advice given to me by an NGK tech was that the resistance of the spark gap is infinitely higher than the internal 5k of a plug and or cap so, the effect on the produced spark is negligible. Furthermore, Iridium plugs produce a better spark at comparatively lower voltage. So go ahead and treat yourself :D

kev edwards
Hardcore
Hardcore

#14 PostAuthor: kev edwards » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:58 am

I have used both denso and NGK plugs, but always go back to NGK, never had problems with either, that said i have no serious performance upgrades, and don't race so have no need to play around with different grades of plugs, i never buy from the web because you never know what you may get, i pay through the nose at a dealership and always have a receipt in case i get a duff plug which has never happened, my bikes ain't broke now so i don't try fixing them. Happy new year chaps.

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#15 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:31 am

The difference between Denso and NGK seems to be in the comparative heat range of so called equivalents. Denso W24ESR-U running a little hotter than NGK B8ES. This tends to work better given the riding styles and colder burning fuels of today in classic engines. NGK research suggests use of a hotter plug than originally designated 40 years ago to compensate for the change of usage and conditions of today. A B7ES being their recommendation.

Buying online is no more risky if buying from a reputable dealer. This advise should help.

Return to “Bike Help”