Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

1976 Z900 A4 - OK to use unleaded?

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

cancunia
Regular Poster

1976 Z900 A4 - OK to use unleaded?

#1 PostAuthor: cancunia » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:03 pm

My first post on here apart from the intro section. I had a search but can't see anything about this so thought that I'd ask. I've not really ridden my Z900 for quite a few years, the last time being to Germany & back a few years ago when I used unleaded, before then it was mostly run on 4*. I had read some time ago that the Z900 engines are fine with unleaded but thought I'd ask in here to get any views on the subject.
Thanks

garyd
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: 1976 Z900 A4 - OK to use unleaded?

#2 PostAuthor: garyd » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:12 pm

Yes...they were designed with steel valve seats to run on unleaded from the start...so go ahead...you'll be fine.

CAT3
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: CAT3 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:57 am

Just to back up Garyd's post, many years ago I contacted Kawasaki technical help to ask the very same question when 4-star was getting harder & harder to find. The man at Kawasaki confirmed these engines were designed to run on unleaded fuel from the very start so there was nothing to worry about.

cancunia
Regular Poster

#4 PostAuthor: cancunia » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:25 am

Many thanks to you both for confirmation. Looks like I'll have some travelling in Feb / Mar to meet up with a friend in HK so it'll probably be April before I get going with the Z900 but really good to know I don't have to worry about the valve seats.

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#5 PostAuthor: swampy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:10 am

use only the high octane premium fuel, as these have little to none ethanol added. ethanol in fuel causes phase separation over time when the bike is not used regularly. with the water element of the alcohol separating from the petrol. thus creating merry hell in the tank and carbs.
Motor biking, motor biking, going down the queens highway like a rasher streaky bacon!

cancunia
Regular Poster

#6 PostAuthor: cancunia » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:29 am

swampy wrote:use only the high octane premium fuel, as these have little to none ethanol added. ethanol in fuel causes phase separation over time when the bike is not used regularly. with the water element of the alcohol separating from the petrol. thus creating merry hell in the tank and carbs.

Thanks for the tip. I checked the tank a few weeks ago as I was worried about water from the fuel. All looked ok, just some very light surface rust above the fuel level below the filler hole. I've sprayed some oil into the tank to add a bit of film over the exposed steel. The tank needs to be flushed in any case before I start the engine so I'll do that with with 'normal' then fill up with 'super'. Depending on what it looks like when dry, I'll probably put some sealer in too.

Gonzo
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#7 PostAuthor: Gonzo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:45 pm

CAT3 wrote:Just to back up Garyd's post, many years ago I contacted Kawasaki technical help to ask the very same question when 4-star was getting harder & harder to find. The man at Kawasaki confirmed these engines were designed to run on unleaded fuel from the very start so there was nothing to worry about.

What a brilliant piece of forward thinking engineering - if only by chance.
I always try to use Shell V Power Nitro+ in my bike.
1978 Z1000A2
Previous Zeds:
1975 Z1B
1982 Z650F3

Return to “Bike Help”