Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

J Tank Width

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

J Tank Width

#1 PostAuthor: Coose » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:05 pm

Morning all,

I have just picked up a Euro square tank for my US-spec '81 J as a temporary replacement until I decide what to do about the leaks on my round tank, but I've found a little issue. All fittings look to be correct on the new tank, but the spacing between the locating cups at the front of the tank is 120mm, compared to 140mm on the US round tank.
I've had a look through the various parts books and there were three or four frames available depending on the market for the J, but there is of course no mention of the actual differences.

So, I suppose the question is, is my new tank not off a J/R or are the tanks not interchangeable as I thought they'd be? Does anyone have any ideas?
It looks as though I could chop 10mm off the two stubs on the frame that locate the two front tank rubbers and the square tank should then fit.

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: J Tank Width

#2 PostAuthor: z1bman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:25 pm

i think the rubbers fit snugly against the frame so chopping down the mounting stubs will not make any difference unless you reduce the thickness of the mounting rubbers. have you tried john browse for a us type tank ?

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: Coose » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:46 pm

z1bman wrote:i think the rubbers fit snugly against the frame so chopping down the mounting stubs will not make any difference unless you reduce the thickness of the mounting rubbers. have you tried john browse for a us type tank ?

Now that explains a lot as my rubbers stand off the (US) frame. I'm going to see what I can do to modify my frame so that i can swap between the two if i keep the square tank.
I haven't tried John Browse - would you have his contact details?

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: z1bman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:15 pm

john browse 01978 355556

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#5 PostAuthor: Coose » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:33 pm

z1bman wrote:john browse 01978 355556

Why thank you. I've just tried him but he's only had one in the last 15 years....
It's looking like there is a difference between the two tanks, but I'm just about to check to see if a very simple mod would allow me to swap between tanks. Watch this space..... :wink:

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: z1bman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:40 pm

can you post a photo of the mounting lugs on the underside of the tank ?

rickm
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: rickm » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:55 pm

I'd be interested to know how this turns out.
I have a US round tank J, and I'd assumed that the frames were the same as Euro spec.
I've just acquired a square GPZ tank as a spare, but haven't offered it up to the frame yet and so now wondering whether it'll fit !
H2B GPZ900R

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#8 PostAuthor: Coose » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:01 pm

rickm wrote:I'd be interested to know how this turns out.
I have a US round tank J, and I'd assumed that the frames were the same as Euro spec.
I've just acquired a square GPZ tank as a spare, but haven't offered it up to the frame yet and so now wondering whether it'll fit !

I now have a simple answer to that Rick - for some bizarre reason the front tank locating stubs are longer on a US frame (why would they do that?)!

Following some welcomed input from the KZ1000J Facemuck page it was confirmed that this is the case. So, as my frame has already been butchered and is going for powder coating soon I have just trimmed 10mm off each stub, then drilled and tapped each to M6 and have used short allen screws for the US tank, removing them for the square tank. The tank rubbers just squeeze over the shoulders of the stubs for the square tank (see below), and with the OD of the M6 allen bolt heads being 10mm they are the same as the stubs so all is fine!
I did wonder at first if it was a GPz750 tank or something....

Today I printed off your dimensions for the round tank decals Rick but I never had the chance to measure them. Hopefully I'll do that on Friday. :)

Tank differences: -
DSC_9209.JPG

Square tank spacing (sorry, the nearest thing to hand was a sprocket!): -
DSC_9210.JPG

Round tank spacing: -
DSC_9211.JPG

Square tank fitted: -
DSC_9212.JPG

Modified stubs: -
DSC_9213.JPG

rickm
100Club
100Club

#9 PostAuthor: rickm » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:45 pm

Why is life never simple anymore ?? :??
H2B GPZ900R

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#10 PostAuthor: Coose » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:10 pm

I wish I knew! Why would Kawasaki do this, I wonder? The only bike that the round tank fits is the J, so why not make it the same fitting as the square tank?!?

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: z1bman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:11 pm

a job well done :D :D :D

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#12 PostAuthor: z1bman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:15 pm

have you checked the clearance between the tank & the forks when the steering is turned lock to lock ?

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#13 PostAuthor: Coose » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:18 pm

z1bman wrote:have you checked the clearance between the tank & the forks when the steering is turned lock to lock ?

Yep, all good ta! :)

london calling
Hardcore
Hardcore

#14 PostAuthor: london calling » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:01 am

Does your Euro tank have the same rear mounting lug as your American spec round tank ?
Just wondering if the Euro tank is off a 750 ?
Jack

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#15 PostAuthor: Coose » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:33 am

london calling wrote:Does your Euro tank have the same rear mounting lug as your American spec round tank ?
Just wondering if the Euro tank is off a 750 ?

I wondered that at first, but no, the rest of the mountings are identical. It's been confirmed by the US KZ1000J Facemuck chaps that "most" of the Euro tanks are narrower at the front than the round tank, though some aren't. Al has confirmed that his '81 UK J is, so I don't really know which wouldn't be.

It may seem like a triviality I suppose, unless someone does actually want to switch between tanks... :)

Return to “Bike Help”