Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Electrical help needed please !

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Strebe
Regular Poster

Re: Electrical help needed please !

#31 PostAuthor: Strebe » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:11 pm

Apologies for sticking my oar in again, but I think that if you’re going to track down the cause of the voltage drop (aka the unwanted resistance) you need to be measuring the voltages at the various points in the circuit while the headlight bulb is drawing current. This is because the unwanted resistance is very low ( a fraction of one ohm I believe) and because the voltage drop is directly proportional to current. Without the bulb, there will be negligible current and therefore at best a minuscule voltage drop.
V=IR !
2019R1250GS....
1974Z1B, 1975 RD350B

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#32 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:56 pm

Strebe wrote:Apologies for sticking my oar in again, but I think that if you’re going to track down the cause of the voltage drop (aka the unwanted resistance) you need to be measuring the voltages at the various points in the circuit while the headlight bulb is drawing current. This is because the unwanted resistance is very low ( a fraction of one ohm I believe) and because the voltage drop is directly proportional to current. Without the bulb, there will be negligible current and therefore at best a minuscule voltage drop.
V=IR !

Or R=V/I :D

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#33 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:10 pm

ohmn.jpg
ohmn.jpg (10.81 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
of course it could be diiferent down under :lol:
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

johny brando
100Club
100Club

THANK YOU LAD's

#34 PostAuthor: johny brando » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:20 am

CLOSING THE POST HERE : An Update & THANK YOU to all that have contributed with your kind , valuable ,much needed help & advise !
I have since as advised by a few of you to check the Voltage drop with & with-out voltage loading on switch blocks & down the line....i.e in & out and onto the Headlight itself = no real visable voltage drop at all ( only voltage drop really.....was across the bulb itself when under load ) & that seems to be normal as I thought I'd check it on another of my bikes & found the exact same voltage drop on my boring B.M. K100 and that is fitted Std with the exact same 55/60 H4 bulb ! and it had the same drop to 10.4 v across the bulb...then start it up & the voltage quickly climbed with lights on to 12.6v volts ( Kawa 900 the same ! ) I cleaned all the Headlight plugs, Switch block male & female plug connectors & bullet connectors ( they were already reasonable ! ..then used the correct Electrical grease in the plugs to help ensure a good connection & no water ingress or future corrosion. I also changed out the Bulb as well....as apparantly ! over time they can lose some gas & that effects their performance too Mmmmm .... I'm only repeating what I was told boys ! I did however find a bent over & bad connection pin in the main 9 pin headlight plug ...so that was a bonus ! but it was only the power feed connector pin for the instrument lights ( ...I wondered why they flickered sometime !! ) I also read somewhere else too.... that occasionally we should clean the inside of the Headlight reflector itself- as the chrome finish can "Cloud" .....for want of a better description ! & this would cause some dimming effect Mmmm- I thought about that , as it's all about light reflection itself within the headlight, well there is some substance there aye ( & mine was pretty dull having never been cleaned in 37 - 43 years , now you can shave in the reflection....if your that desperate !!! I doubt really that any of the last few final things would have made much.... if any difference but thought I'd share it with you none the less . I personally believe that z1bman had made the primary correct diagnosis ...that being my crap wiring at what was the Ballast resistor connections & me inadvertantly linking there incorrectly the handlebar switch blocks remote Blue live feed wires .....this was I think the (Elephant in Room )=main culprit for my woe's ! The headlight now I recon is as good as it ever will be ......Dips a bit lacking & Main is just OK & 10 times better than it was !!!!!...thanks to all your help & advise . I also think on reflection that I am also unwittingly & possibly sub-conscously drawing comparison to the Head Lights from my 1050 Speed Triple ... as thats what I'd normally get caught out on at night & they are awesome..... they'd burn the fur of a Kangaroo arsehole at 100 metres ! haha.
Thank's very much to all of you that put in ..........z1bman-Strebe-PAULJAC47-KeithZ1R & ZedHead I really appreciate all your assistance guys . "Many hands certainly did make light work for me " Cheers & all the best lads. Lee.

Return to “Bike Help”