Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1 Wheel rebuild

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Steve_no1
new poster

Z1 Wheel rebuild

#1 PostAuthor: Steve_no1 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:40 pm

I have a 73 Z1/ Quite tidy and very original. Had it for five years. Really I just need new spokes as mine look pretty bad - Any advice ...should I go for stainless is the first question ...and then how far should I go? Should I get the rims rechromed - they aren't really too bad - all original and just the odd very small spot ...and then what about hubs polished etc etc - it might all look a bit too restored, but there will be an opportunity to do it! Paint is original - and I don't mind the odd little mark - but getting back to the spokes, they sort of let it down! Advice welcome!

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Z1 Wheel rebuild

#2 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:55 pm

Hi Steve
if you want to keep her as original as possible buy a new set of spokes and nipples for the front and the rear wheel, go for zinc plated spokes and yellow zinc plated nipples. Those are the original ones. When you maintain them regularely they'll stay clean for many years.
I think you can buy them at Z-power in the UK.
About the wheel hubs I can only say that the front hub is painted satin black and that the rear hub is polished aluminium. If those are not too bad, leave them as they are. As for the rims: if they're not rusty, just clean them up. If you get them rechromed, you have the possibility that the markings on the rim disappear.
Good luck
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:20 pm

http://mi6712.wixsite.com/blackcatwheels

Ask for Mike,he really knows the score,makes spokes to suit,keep that Z1 as original as it sounds i say! Cheers Paul j
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:54 pm

As Phillippe above re:- your spokes.

If the rest of the bike is original then I'd leave the rims as they are. Modern triple plated chrome is much blingier (is that a word?) than original Japanese chrome so would perhaps look 'to' shiny compared to the rest of the bikes chrome. And let's be honest said chrome was pretty poor even when the bikes were new.

A bit of elbow grease with a small wire and tooth brush should bring up the hub, again without it looking like it's just had some sort of media blast.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

wheelysteve
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#5 PostAuthor: wheelysteve » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:08 pm

I replaced the spokes in the rear wheel of my Z900. I used a set of spokes from Z power which match the originals inc the nipples. Once I'd stripped the wheel, i cleaned up the rear hub with a scotch brite wheel. It came up like new. I polished the outer rim and brake plate but obviously this is personal preference.

I laced the wheel up with out tightening the spokes then had it trued up by a "wheel man ". Looks pretty good now I think. (although I did use a new rim as well). This was my first time at having a go at re spoking a wheel. `Just take your time and have a cup of tea if it goes wrong and come back to it. :D

20170714_115328.jpg

20170714_115333.jpg
20170714_115333.jpg (56.87 KiB) Viewed 1919 times

20170720_192538.jpg

20170720_192516.jpg
1975 Z1B Candy Red/Blue
1975 Dogs Z1B
1976 Z900 A4
1977 Z650B1
1978 Z650B2
1978 KZ1000D Z1R
Yam Tracer 900GT