Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1 identification numbers

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

chrispyduck
100Club
100Club

Z1 identification numbers

#1 PostAuthor: chrispyduck » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:17 pm

I have been offered a 73 Z1 which the owner describes as original Engine number: Z1E13687
Frame number: Z1F13394
I am keen to know where and what to look for regards other identifying numbers. I understand the wheels have stamps of some sort but I don't know what. Are there other areas of the bike I should look for identification as proof of originality?
Many thanks for any information.
Fat girls are like M****s, they are fun to ride, you just don`t want your mates to see you.

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Z1 identification numbers

#2 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:33 pm

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Philippe » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:59 pm

Hi Chrispyduck
according to the framenumber the Z1 was constructed in may '73.
That means that the rims should have the code 3E, 3D lor 3C (may, april or march 73). The code on the rear swing arm should be 303, 304 or 305 (on the upper side near the grease nipple) and the code on the rear brake torque arm should be 33, 34 or 35 (on the inside, towards the rear wheel). The code on the front disc brake rotor should be 8F or 8G ( 8 being the 48 year of showa era or in the gregorian calendar 1973), the F the fifth 4 weekly production run of the year or de G the sixth 4weekly production run of the year. A bit confusing I know but you have a bit of explanation in the link Garry gave you above.
There are other date codes on different parts of the bike but those are not so visible as the one I mentioned above.
Just remember that those bikes have been used during allmost 4 decades and maybe some parts were changed because of an accident. It's not a disaster if there are other codes on some parts. The main thing is that the frame and engine numbers are correct. They seem to be OK.
As far as I'm concerned: good luck ! If it seems OK to you buy it!!!
Greetings from Belgium
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

chrispyduck
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: chrispyduck » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:57 pm

Hi Philippe / Garry

Thank you for that fantastic information, really gives an insight into the production dates.
I have got some pics that show 8C on the disc and what looks like 303 on the rims??????
It is indeed a May 83 bike.
Fat girls are like M****s, they are fun to ride, you just don`t want your mates to see you.

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Philippe » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:47 am

Hi Chrispyduck
the 303 on the rim is the type of rim, not the date. Takasago is the name of the manufacturer, 1,85x19 the dimensions, 303 the type of rim ( angle of the spokes) and then you have the date code. In your case that should be 3D or 3E to know if it's original.
The Z1 had type 303 rims front and rear. The Z900A4 had a 305 front and a 303 rear rim.
On the net you can find a lot more so go for it and enjoy the discovery!
Cheers
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

chrispyduck
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: chrispyduck » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:55 pm

Further to this great information i have re checked the wheel rims with the seller.
Front rim is 3D which i believe would be April 1973. Rear rim is 2L i reckon would be December 1972. Would this be too far out for a May 73 bike ?

Cheers for the replies.

wilsonsjw11
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: wilsonsjw11 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:12 pm

Purchase a copy of John Brooks' excellent book,all you need to know about parts for a 73 Z1 and the relevant date codes.
Regards
Steve

Return to “Bike Help”