Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1 vs Z1a swing arm /reat axle bolt diameters

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

timyoungman
100Club
100Club

Z1 vs Z1a swing arm /reat axle bolt diameters

#1 PostAuthor: timyoungman » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:08 pm

Can anyone tell me if the Z1 and Z1a rear axle bolts are different diameter? Is the Z1 8mm and the Z1a 10mm or what?
I'm going to be restoring a Z1 and need the correct swing arm. Any info appreciated.

Thx

8 Valve Mark
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: Z1 vs Z1a swing arm /reat axle bolt diameters

#2 PostAuthor: 8 Valve Mark » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:07 am

hi Tim, do you mean the bolts for securing the chain adjuster blocks? I'm sure they're all the same. (just measured one) 13mm head,8mm thread diameter X 40mm thread length.i have bolts n blocks if you need some.. cheers mark

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Philippe » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:42 am

Hi Tim
the swing arms of a Z1 and of a Z1A have the same shape, only the date code on top is different.I guess you're restoring a '73 Z1? The date code on top can be 211,212,301,302,303,304,305,306 depending on how early or how late your bike was produced and which swing arm was in stock at the Akashi factory.
I think you're referring to the diameter of the chain adjuster bolts. The Z1 chain adjuster bolts are 8 mm thick, those of a Z1A are 10 mm in diameter. There was allso a little difference in the chain adjusters themselves, the Z1 chain adjusters had an 8 mm bolt welded in, the Z1A a 10 mm bolt.Kawasaki changed them because they had complaints about the bolts being to thin and bending when adjusting the chain.
The bolts for the chain adjuster blocks are all the same: M8 x 40 mm and they're factory finished in black paint.
Greetings
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Philippe » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:02 am

Hi Tim
me again. If you want correct information about Z1 parts, buy John Brookes' book: "Kawasaki Z1 & Z2 1972-73 Restorer's parts book". A lot of information with a lot of pictures! A small investment if details matter to you.
Greetings
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

timyoungman
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: timyoungman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:34 am

Thanks. This is very helpful.

I was confused as the csmnl web site shows chain adjustes with 8mm or 10mm bolts. Now I get it.
Yes Phillipe, a '73....It is a bit of a mess but obviously well worth the effort.

I will post again when i'm stuck.

Cheers

Return to “Bike Help”