Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Dyna or Boyer

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

cancunia
Regular Poster

Dyna or Boyer

#1 PostAuthor: cancunia » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:43 am

Does anyone have views either way for these ignition systems and the best prices / places to buy? Boyer seems a good option as it replaces the spring driven advance, but from what I've read on here people tend to prefer the Dyna product. I have an old points based electronic system that I bought quite some time ago, the system failed when it got cooked by a faulty regulator so I switched back to just points. The system was repaired under warranty but never used again.
Thanks.

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Dyna or Boyer

#2 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:03 am

Boyers do work ok but need a control box,have used both and prefer the Dyna,simple to fit,no box,does what it says on the tin.Oh and you do retain the advance mech on the Dyna,not lose it as you say,its the points plate and rotor you lose...
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

becker
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: becker » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:09 am

Have had both a Boyer and Dyna systems on bikes.

A couple of years ago my Z became a bitch to start after not being used for a while – even with a fully charged battery, it needed the extra boost of a jump start from a car.

I decided to fit a Dyna system after reading so many good things about them on here. Since fitting the Dyna the bike starts within a few turns on the button, with just the bike battery.

Another thing you'll notice is the much simpler design and therefore fitting. The Boyer has a separate control unit which needs fitting into the loom somewhere under the tank, or seat or tail piece – basically hiding somewhere – and has around 5 or 6 wires to connect. The Dyna fits neatly under the points cover, has only 3 wires (power and 1 to each coil) and no separate control unit.

I’m sure some other more knowledgeable people will be along to explain some technical differences and why one is better than the other, but I'm a Dyna fan :D
When life hands you lemons, reach for the vodka.

Z1B (in Z1A colours), Z1000A1, ZRX1100 C4, Suzuki TS125J (being restored), Suzuki T125J (in boxes), Garelli Rekord MKII (awaiting restoration), most of a Garelli Rekord MKI

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#4 PostAuthor: Pigford » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:30 am

Dyna is better coz as mentioned it’s simpler - tried & tester with generally better reviews.
My A4 is running fine with points; have used Dyna S & 2000 on Zeds to good effect.
Boyer is a bit more fragile but had it on my 650 Triumph several yrs no probs.
I’d go DYNA every time!
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

cancunia
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: cancunia » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:54 pm

Many thanks for all your replies, I have quite a few things to be getting on with so will follow Pigford's lead for now and stay with the points. I'll see if the points based electronic system is still working for a bit of a diversion.
Technically, I prefer the look of Boyer solution but based on the levels of feedback in favour of Dyna will probably go that way if I do decide to go electronic. There's about £20 difference in favour of Boyer from what I've seen so far.

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:43 pm

I had Boyer until a faulty regulator boiled my battery and cooked the black box. Never looked back since fitting Dyna S.

Charlie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#7 PostAuthor: Charlie » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:04 pm

Dyna coils, leads and ignition on mine - bought from Z Power :)
Why do I persist in debating with idiots ? I really should know better :)

Taffus

#8 PostAuthor: Taffus » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:57 pm

Dyna is the best solution, if you get Boyer you need this
lucas smoke.jpg
lucas smoke.jpg (8.31 KiB) Viewed 3897 times

KeithZ1R

#9 PostAuthor: KeithZ1R » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:07 pm

Taffus wrote:Dyna is the best solution, if you get Boyer you need this
lucas smoke.jpg

dont buy any of that stuff, Ive loads of it :up
Keith
:bop :gom

You can never have too many tools in your life, except the two legged variety

I'm never wrong, once I thought I was but I was
mistaken.

Phil Churchett winner 2013

cancunia
Regular Poster

#10 PostAuthor: cancunia » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:09 am

I like the Lucas smoke, must say that I have quite a few unfond memories of British car/bike wiring & assorted electrical items from the 60's & 70's. I seem to remember an Ozzie or NZ forum where Lucas was known as Leaves U Cold And Stranded. Thankfully things have improved quite a bit since then.
I've read far too much about ignition systems on various forums & web pages over the past few days, one common theme is the power handling capacity of the various components needed to switch the ignition current, from what I've read the Dyna system must be on the edge of what you can squeeze into a small space. Based on the amount of support they have on here, the Dyna systems must be very well made to handle standard coils.

Taffus

#11 PostAuthor: Taffus » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:18 am

Personally not had a set fail but have heard of some failing, usually with the white heat sink compound bleeding from the black sensor affected. That said, it's still rare
Boyer, many horror stories, that said, the skill level to fit a boyer properly is much higher

Julian_Boolean
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#12 PostAuthor: Julian_Boolean » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:23 am

Joseph Lucas - the Prince of Darkness
An expanding collection of parts pretending to be a Z1100R and a Yamaha FZ750

Return to “Bike Help”