Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Camchain tensioner Adjustment ( Z1 900 73 )

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

marmck
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Camchain tensioner Adjustment ( Z1 900 73 )

#1 PostAuthor: marmck » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:49 am

Is the procedure for adjusting the cam chain tensioner as follows, just want to be sure before I do it ,remove points cover ,undo locknut on tensioner & remove bolt , turn engine over using a spanner on the bolt on the crank & using a torch of sorts watch the tensioner move in & out ,stopping when it is furthest in & replacing bolt & lock nut . It does`nt have to be set at TDC or any other special position , does it . Thanks for this in advance . Martin

marmck
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: Camchain tensioner Adjustment ( Z1 900 73 )

#2 PostAuthor: marmck » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:40 pm

having come to the above explanation from reading several sites I looked on me bike & would have to have the neck of a giraffe or arms of a orangutan or both to be able to do this ,so do you just undo lock nut & retaining bolt , turn engine over manually a couple of times(spanner on crank ) then tighten bolt & retaining nut up

kev edwards
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: kev edwards » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:10 pm

Turn engine over forwards a couple of times using a spanner, then set either pair of cylinders on the T mark, loosen the tensioner so it takes up the slack re-tighten, job done.

marmck
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: marmck » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:43 pm

Just found this link showing cam chain adjustment at about 30mins, think I will use your way Kev , thanks for the help ---- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUaao5mMylU

Return to “Bike Help”