Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

z1 900 starting probs

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

frizzy
Regular Poster

z1 900 starting probs

#1 PostAuthor: frizzy » Sun May 20, 2018 8:05 pm

hi guys, I could do with a bit of help. I'm doing a good mate a favour, for his poorly brother inlaw who suffers from demensure . I'm trying to get his bike running, ive replaced the wiring harness all 4 parts of it including a new ignition switch, the 4 wire one. ive eventually getting it to turn over and start off the button. but as soon as I release the starter button, I stops. if I keep the button pressed I can rev it but on release it stops. its got me totally bamboozled but I'm sure its a fault staring me in the face. so I could do with some help guys. ive been on 8 months with it and its got my head done in. any ideas guys????

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: z1 900 starting probs

#2 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sun May 20, 2018 9:03 pm

have you got battery voltage at the yellow/red wires at the ignition coils when the ignition is switched on ? if not you need to check the r/h switch . you can disconnect the switch & put a 12v feed to the yellow/red wires direct from the battery + then turn the ignition on & short the two main terminals on the solenoid with a screwdriver if it starts you know your problem is within the switch wiring

frizzy
Regular Poster

#3 PostAuthor: frizzy » Sun May 20, 2018 9:53 pm

Thanks. I'll try that

Julian_Boolean
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: Julian_Boolean » Mon May 21, 2018 1:04 pm

Sounds like the right hand handlebar switch is wired wrong and you've only got voltage going to the ignition when the starter button is pressed, could also be a poor connection within the switch.
An expanding collection of parts pretending to be a Z1100R and a Yamaha FZ750

frizzy
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: frizzy » Thu May 24, 2018 9:35 pm

checked the switch guys, and seems to be ok, i'm still bamboozled , any more thoughts????

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: z1bman » Thu May 24, 2018 9:53 pm

frizzy wrote:checked the switch guys, and seems to be ok, i'm still bamboozled , any more thoughts????

did you disconnect the switch & follow the advise in my previous post ? the only thing that can be at fault is the ignition switch or the r/ switch as the coils are powered from the ignition switch to the kill button & starter button

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: Philippe » Fri May 25, 2018 4:34 am

Hi Frizzy
what z1bman wrote is correct!
When changing the main loom there can be a problem.
Sometimes a US loom and a UK right hand switch ( or the other way; UK loom and US switch) can cause the problem.
The wiring of the right hand switch is sometimes connected differently in the wiring loom of the switch itself. You can't see it. You only see it when you remove the black plastic around the wires.
I experienced it when I restored the Z1000ST-R! Strange but true.
Good luck with it!
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:06 am

What bike is it? some zeds have a six wire ignition switch,if you are fitting a four wire jobby you need to make sure it mates up with the correct wires as you can plug a four wire into a six way socket a couple of ways.stick some pics up showing us the plugs and cable colours.Paul J
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: z1bman » Fri May 25, 2018 10:19 am

is the r/h switch the original? or a new pattern one ? has the kill switch been taken apart? or has it had a new starter button ? does the starter turn when the kill switch is off

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: z1bman » Fri May 25, 2018 5:03 pm

here's a photo of the starter switch. with the ignition on & the kill switch in the run position the yellow / red wire should be live 12v+ the black wire which is the power supply to the solenoid should read 0 volts & 12v+ only when the starter button is pressed
Attachments
20180312_195225.jpg

frizzy
Regular Poster

#11 PostAuthor: frizzy » Fri May 25, 2018 7:57 pm

thanks for the intrest guys, first of all, the owner provided a new loom as the old one had been butchered. then I had to get a new middle loom and rear loom and then ignition switch. its a 4 wire ignition switch. the colours of the wires on each junction box are the same colours going in and out. a colour wiring diagram might help as I don't think the colours do the same job as modern day colours. the bike has been fitted with electronic ignition with dynotech coils which I think on inspection and messing with the bike that the coil for 1 and 4 cylinders might be on the blink. however I have got all the lights working and indicators, so im slowly getting there, lol.

frizzy
Regular Poster

#12 PostAuthor: frizzy » Fri May 25, 2018 7:58 pm

also guys the switches are new, but I will take the starter switch apart for further inspection

frizzy
Regular Poster

#13 PostAuthor: frizzy » Thu May 31, 2018 7:57 pm

hi guys, checked out the switch, im still no further forward. any more ideas? I fell this problem will be simple and staring me in the face. but it has me baffled

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#14 PostAuthor: z1bman » Thu May 31, 2018 8:58 pm

did you check the voltage at the yellow / red on the starter button? it should be live when ignition is on & the kill switch in the run possition & when you press the button the black should be live

frizzy
Regular Poster

#15 PostAuthor: frizzy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:18 pm

hi again, I disconnected the box connector for the r/h switches, turned on the ignition the red/yell wire was zero reading but the brown was 12v. any ideas?

Return to “Bike Help”