Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

z1 900 starting probs

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: z1 900 starting probs

#16 PostAuthor: z1bman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:43 pm

the brown is the switched live ( live when the ignition is turned on ) the kill switch has a brown & a yellow/ red both of these should be live when the kill switch is in the run position.

oceantools
new poster

#17 PostAuthor: oceantools » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:09 am

Frizz - take a look at the top left corner of the attached wiring diagram. You'll see a dotted box with Starter Button and Engine Stop Switch. The theory of operation is that you have to have the Engine Stop Switch in the run position AND press the Starter Button to energise the starter solenoid. Note the Black line that links the two switches together. And note the red & yellow line that tees into that black line. That's the feed to the coils - so whenever the Engine Stop Switch is in the Run position there's a 12V supply to the coils.

What I think has happened is that the red & yellow is connected to the *wrong side* of the Starter Button. When you press the Starter Button you're powering the starter solenoid AND the coils. But as soon as you release it you're removing power from the coils with the obvious result being the engine stops.

If you want, I can give you some step-by-step instructions using a DVM to check voltages and check continuity between various points to prove the above. The problem is even if we confirm the above is the fault I'm not 100% sure how to remedy it.... I'm reluctant to encourage you to start cutting wiring looms. So i don't know if this helps or not!!
Attachments
z900A4+5.pdf
(1.07 MiB) Downloaded 104 times
1976 KZ900-A4 ++ 2015 R1200GS ++ 1964 Volvo P1800S

frizzy
Regular Poster

#18 PostAuthor: frizzy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:15 pm

hi guys, ive checked the live lead to the coils too and its only live when the starter button is pressed, this has got my head done in and im sure it will be staring me in the face… back to study the wiring diagram again lol

frizzy
Regular Poster

#19 PostAuthor: frizzy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:31 pm

thanks guys ive just realised its gone onto two pages this post lol, ill take all the piss take on the chin tho lol. im going to check as you guys have advised in the last few post and all the help is much appreciated . hopefully tomorrow night after work. ill keep you all informed. cheers frizzy

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#20 PostAuthor: z1bman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:34 pm

it looks like the wires have been soldered in the wrong place on the starter button but if that was the case the starter would be running all the time. have you got an old switch you can try ?

frizzy
Regular Poster

#21 PostAuthor: frizzy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 pm

hi again, yes ive got an old switch which im hoping to tryover the weekend as ive been away with work. however ive had the dynacoils checked and 1 is duff, but I think 1 of the pickup coils might be duff too. ive go an old set off good checked coils off my z1000j to try on this bike, can you tell me if they would work with the electronic dyna system or not

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#22 PostAuthor: z1bman » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:27 pm

yes they will be ok

frizzy
Regular Poster

#23 PostAuthor: frizzy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:50 am

hi again, I have had the starter switch apart the red/yellow wire is 12v when the ignition is on, and the black is 12v when the button is pressed, the red/yellow wire to the starter button is 12v in the run position and 0v in the off position, so I believe the switch gear is ok

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#24 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:33 pm

yes that is correct so that proves the switch is ok

frizzy
Regular Poster

#25 PostAuthor: frizzy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:16 pm

ive got no spark at all now, and the starter button only turns the motor when I put a live to the coils

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#26 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:25 pm

you must have a problem with the yellow/red within the harness it splits into two wires to feed both coils. also pull on the yellow / red that comes out of the harness & into the block connector there might be a break in the wire where the terminal is crimped in the block connector. also check the brown wire at the ignition switch & the wiring block for the r/h switch should be live when ignition is turned on

frizzy
Regular Poster

#27 PostAuthor: frizzy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:29 pm

hi again, the red/yellow wire under the tank area which is a double female connector is live when the ignition is on. but when I connesct it to the coils as a live feed the motor doesn't turn over off the button. it only turns over off the button when I have the live feed from the starter solenoid to the coils but somehow I feel the current is going in the wrong direction.

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#28 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:35 pm

exactly what model is this bike?

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#29 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:54 pm

has the top yoke been powder coated ? as the switches rely on this as an earth through the forks to the frame

frizzy
Regular Poster

#30 PostAuthor: frizzy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:13 pm

hi z1bman, I believe its a z1b, but it has had welded on it the bracket for a rear master cylinder to change from a drum brake to a disc, but the spoke wheels a have with it are also for a rear disc aswell as the alloys on it. it has twin front discs and has a 1000 a2 engine in it. its a bit of a bitsa but deserves to get back on the road for an airing lol. I'm just doing it as a favour for a good mates poorly brother in law. I can send pics of it as I have pics on my phone. ill see if I can upload from my phone . cheers

Return to “Bike Help”