Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Stainless Steel Bolts - Ok or Not?

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

bulldogbobby
100Club
100Club

Stainless Steel Bolts - Ok or Not?

#1 PostAuthor: bulldogbobby » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:10 pm

In the process of replacing many of the bolts on my bike for stainless as I've been disappointed with the quality of pattern replacements bought in the past. Had a read through previous posts on the subject but there seems to be varying opinions on whether or not they should be changed (due mainly to tensile strength issues?)

Everything I've changed so far has had the markings filed off and the heads polIshed - i know that purists might frown but I reckon they look better and I've kept the originals. All threads have also been 'Coppaslipped' - my next job is the cylinder head cover bolts (think they're part no. 92001-1160, 6X45mm). As these will be subjected to heat, are these ok to change and will torque values be the same?

Might well open up a can of worms again but any advice on best grades to use and are there any bolts/fastenings on the bike that SHOULD DEFINITELY NOT be changed for S/S?

Cheers in advance
Let The Good Times Roll...........

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Stainless Steel Bolts - Ok or Not?

#2 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:39 pm

Going by the book it's A2 grade for most of the general bolts including the camcover and A4 for the higher tensile.
That being said I have all my bolts in A2 with no issues ever and that's including the sprocket and disc bolts.
Despite warnings from the alarmists and expert google educated metallurgists they aren't all going to shear at the first sign of heavy braking or brisk acceleration.
Last edited by zed1015 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisu

#3 PostAuthor: chrisu » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:40 pm

bulldogbobby wrote:In the process of replacing many of the bolts on my bike for stainless as I've been disappointed with the quality of pattern replacements bought in the past. Had a read through previous posts on the subject but there seems to be varying opinions on whether or not they should be changed (due mainly to tensile strength issues?)

Everything I've changed so far has had the markings filed off and the heads polIshed - i know that purists might frown but I reckon they look better and I've kept the originals. All threads have also been 'Coppaslipped' - my next job is the cylinder head cover bolts (think they're part no. 92001-1160, 6X45mm). As these will be subjected to heat, are these ok to change and will torque values be the same?

NEVER HAD A PROBLEM

Might well open up a can of worms again but any advice on best grades to use and are there any bolts/fastenings on the bike that SHOULD DEFINITELY NOT be changed for S/S?

I'VE HEARD SOME PEOPLE SAY DON'T CHANGE THE CALIPER BOLTS BUT I HAVE AND NOT HAD A PROBLEM. ENGINE INTERNALS I'VE KEPT STD.

Cheers in advance

OTHER OPINIONS WILL BE ALONG SHORTLY.................... :D

warren3200gt
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: warren3200gt » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:13 pm

Thers not a bolt anywhere on one of mine thats not stainless a2 allen head and everytime I've gone into the garage its still in one peice and not a pile of bits in a heap on the floor.
I think you'll be fine :D
PUM 488 June 2023
76 Z900A4, 77 Z650B1, 77 KZ650B1, 77 Z1000A1, 82 Z1000J2, ZRX1100R.

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:34 pm

I'VE HEARD SOME PEOPLE SAY DON'T CHANGE THE CALIPER BOLTS BUT I HAVE AND NOT HAD A PROBLEM

The braking force on old zeds is not enough to break chocolate caliper bolts :shock:

bulldogbobby
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: bulldogbobby » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:01 pm

Excellent!! Stainless it is then! :D
Let The Good Times Roll...........

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#7 PostAuthor: Pigford » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:10 pm

Lets be honest - s/s is going to be stronger than 95% of the metal on a Zed - so you can guess which material will fail first...... :blah
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

chrisu

#8 PostAuthor: chrisu » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:29 pm

ZedHead wrote:
I'VE HEARD SOME PEOPLE SAY DON'T CHANGE THE CALIPER BOLTS BUT I HAVE AND NOT HAD A PROBLEM

The braking force on old zeds is not enough to break chocolate caliper bolts :shock:

well i didn't say i agreed with them..........obviously

kev edwards
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: kev edwards » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:42 pm

Stainless all the way with mine, i guess when they were originally built stainless bolts and screws would have pushed the cost of the bike right up, so Kawasaki decided to put cheap zinced bolts and screws on instead.

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:35 am

chrisu wrote:
ZedHead wrote:

well i didn't say i agreed with them..........obviously

I know Chris, more a comment on 70's stopping power... or lack of :)

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:08 pm

Stainless Steel is way to go.
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

cancunia
Regular Poster

#12 PostAuthor: cancunia » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:43 am

Glad to see this post and the opinions about stainless bolts. In addition to the cam cover, I've also bought stainless cap nuts, washers & studding for the exhaust. The only place I can think of that might be a problem to use stainless is the camshaft bearing caps, but they're pretty well protected from the elements. I hadn't considered the disc bolts, but will do so now as my discs are off the wheels. In this case, it's shear rather than tension so I can see no issues there. Hopefully there will also be less reaction with aluminium than with mild steel.

Blackseven
100Club
100Club

#13 PostAuthor: Blackseven » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:17 pm

Why would it be a problem to use stainless on the camshaft bearing caps?

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#14 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:39 am

Blackseven wrote:Why would it be a problem to use stainless on the camshaft bearing caps?

Think he means there's no real advantage?

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#15 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:40 am

cancunia wrote:Glad to see this post and the opinions about stainless bolts. In addition to the cam cover, I've also bought stainless cap nuts, washers & studding for the exhaust. The only place I can think of that might be a problem to use stainless is the camshaft bearing caps, but they're pretty well protected from the elements. I hadn't considered the disc bolts, but will do so now as my discs are off the wheels. In this case, it's shear rather than tension so I can see no issues there. Hopefully there will also be less reaction with aluminium than with mild steel.

Imagine most of the shear force is taken up by the mating surface of the disc against the hub - lots of friction there!. That's why the mating surfaces must be clean & flat!!

Return to “Bike Help”