Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

New copy rev counters

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

New copy rev counters

#1 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:36 pm

Guyz ,Are the copy rev counters either cable or leccy driven still as crap as they were a few years back? or have they improved?
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: New copy rev counters

#2 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:11 pm

PAULJAC47 wrote:Guyz ,Are the copy rev counters either cable or leccy driven still as crap as they were a few years back? or have they improved?

Can’t comment on cable drive. But the last 2 electric drive with take off from coils died after around 500 miles. However I read somewhere that you need to be extra careful what you use to rubber mount them. So maybe the foam I used either too dense or not dense enough. I ended up grafting a pair of 750 Zephyr clocks on. Have recently bought a 80mm digital Smiths Rev counter which I am going to fit into zed casings.
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

johny brando
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: johny brando » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:04 am

PAULJAC47 wrote:Guyz ,Are the copy rev counters either cable or leccy driven still as crap as they were a few years back? or have they improved?

Hi Paul , Save your money mate..maybe get yours rebuilt instead ! A mate of mine last year bought 2 of them New >>> don't recall if they were cable or Electronic but seem to think they were Electronic ??? ( definitely the brand was "Emgo "- out of Taiwan I think ! ) Straight out the box they were BOTH rubbish & the needle bounced so bad they made him dizzy ! Could have been a bad batch but ........hey - they always say that same old ...Get Of jail Free Chestnut ! Thread carefully Paul . All the best, Lee.

Charlie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: Charlie » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:24 pm

I have a copy tacho (cable drive) on one of mine
The needle is perfectly smooth, but the tacho itself does read 1000rpm or so faster than the engine is actually turning.
Once you get to the fact its showing more revs than the engine is turning, its OK - but you would not want to set the idle speed using the tacho lol.
Why do I persist in debating with idiots ? I really should know better :)

chrisw1
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: chrisw1 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:51 pm

I have bought a couple of tachos recently of ebay ..one for £18 and one for £38 ...... cheaper to get an original one Ive found

Return to “Bike Help”