Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Running rough

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

DavidZ1R
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Running rough

#16 PostAuthor: DavidZ1R » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:48 pm

Silly question ,but is the rubber plug on the take off stub? and have the carbs been vapour cleaned lately?
CB125 GT380 CB750F1 Z1R GPZ 750 Turbo Z1R

Wayne1960
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#17 PostAuthor: Wayne1960 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:16 pm

Hi the rubber plugs are on all for take off stubs. yes they were cleaned. Not sure what Steve Smethurst uses but they were lovely when i got them back.

Any reason?
Just purchased a 1976 UK Z900 A4 for renovation. Wish me luck.
Bike now finished what a joy!

DavidZ1R
Hardcore
Hardcore

#18 PostAuthor: DavidZ1R » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:36 am

[quote][/quote]

I had a similar problem with my carbs, I found out , after a lot of frustration, that the vapour cleaning had left residue in the threads of two of the air screws, no matter if they were in or out, made no difference, I finally found that because of the fouled threads the air screws were not screwing in deep enough to make a difference. I cured it by using an old air screw , drops of 3 in 1 oil and screwing in and keep backing off until the screw went all the way in, when the threads had been cleaned out it made all the difference.
CB125 GT380 CB750F1 Z1R GPZ 750 Turbo Z1R

Wayne1960
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#19 PostAuthor: Wayne1960 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:33 pm

ok I will look tonight. Mine do feel they are running freely. Its weird because I get a change in revs when I adjust all others except one that doesn't make a difference one way or the other.
Just purchased a 1976 UK Z900 A4 for renovation. Wish me luck.

Bike now finished what a joy!

johny brando
100Club
100Club

#20 PostAuthor: johny brando » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:36 am

This is a Curly one aye ! Just too many options to wildly prod at here ! Personally for what it's worth I think you need to try & narrow it down i.e. " Electric's -Ignition " -Fueling- Compression ? If it was me I'd first run a Hot compression test &... if thats OK : 125 psi or more, I recon your best bet then is a process of elimination, so I'd try and befriend a decent & helpful fellow nearby Kawa 900 owner who's bikes is running OK ( it's a big ask ...but theres good people out there! ) and assuming your fuel supply side and battery & charging system is all fully functional... then systematically, starting with the Coils , leads ,caps & plugs as a lump switch em & try the bike...leave them all on for the time being if theres no change and move on and do the same again...switch the ignition breaker system ( points plate or electronic ignition unit ) try again & if no change then it's time to swap the carbs . Hopefully this will help you narrow it down and steer you to the culprit ( once you have found the floored area... you can then zoom in further & break that area down to identify the culprit within ). Bear in mind there could still be an outside chance ...- ( although small & unlikely ... that some thing- like a blocked tank filler cap air vent or a Bad Earth is you gremlin) I know that the prospect of doing the above seems daunting but in reality you really need to break this issue down to be able to find and then zoom in on the root cause.
Cheers good luck. Johny B

johny brando
100Club
100Club

#21 PostAuthor: johny brando » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:23 am

johny brando wrote:This is a Curly one aye ! Just too many options to wildly prod at here ! Personally for what it's worth I think you need to try & narrow it down i.e. " Electric's -Ignition " -Fueling- Compression ? If it was me I'd first run a Hot compression test &... if thats OK : 125 psi or more, I recon your best bet then is a process of elimination, so I'd try and befriend a decent & helpful fellow nearby Kawa 900 owner who's bikes is running OK ( it's a big ask ...but theres good people out there! ) and assuming your fuel supply side and battery & charging system is all fully functional... then systematically, starting with the Coils , leads ,caps & plugs as a lump switch em & try the bike...leave them all on for the time being if theres no change and move on and do the same again...switch the ignition breaker system ( points plate or electronic ignition unit ) try again & if no change then it's time to swap the carbs . Hopefully this will help you narrow it down and steer you to the culprit ( once you have found the floored area... you can then zoom in further & break that area down to identify the culprit within ). Bear in mind there could still be an outside chance ...- ( although small & unlikely ... that some thing- like a blocked tank filler cap air vent or a Bad Earth is you gremlin) I know that the prospect of doing the above seems daunting but in reality you really need to break this issue down to be able to find and then zoom in on the root cause.
Cheers good luck. Johny B

I meant to say ......that I haven't actually read all the posted replies to this issue but either way ...it wouldn't change or alter my above response . Hope u get quick fix on it. Cheers.

Return to “Bike Help”