Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1R Fuel cap vent

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Shoz
Regular Poster

Z1R Fuel cap vent

#1 PostAuthor: Shoz » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:07 am

Can anyone tell me the best way to unblock the fuel cap vent on a Z1R?
The problem has developed recently after 60 miles from a full tank - seems to be fuel starvation? Runs fine until this point then coughs and splutters, when I go for fuel there seems to be a vacuum built up in the tank. (air "pssst" sound on opening cap ).
Anything else that might cause these symptoms? :??

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Z1R Fuel cap vent

#2 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:03 pm

Does sound like a blocked vent but to be sure go for a ride with a brim full tank then when the spluttering starts open the cap and if there's a hiss and the spluttering subsides it's the vent..

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:07 pm

Hi Shoz

I had the same symptons with the large(20 l) fuel tank of my Z1R.
When the engine was hot and the fueltank recieved heat there was a certain pressure inside that allowed me to keep driving. After refueling it took a while to heat up the new fuel. Untill that moment the engine spluttered and it didn't rev up...
You'll have to dismount the fuelcap and disassemble it .
There are two screws on the underside, unscrew them but take care there's a spring under, don't loose it.
Then you can disassemble the inside completely. Mind the disassemblyorder of the parts and how they fit together.
When the inside is disassembled you can clean the vent duct and the little vent holes.
After cleaning, reassemble and enjoy!!
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Shoz
Regular Poster

#4 PostAuthor: Shoz » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:09 pm

zed1015 wrote:Does sound like a blocked vent but to be sure go for a ride with a brim full tank then when the spluttering starts open the cap and if there's a hiss and the spluttering subsides it's the vent..
Cheers - sorted it..... vent was well and truely blocked, now clear :D

Shoz
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: Shoz » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:12 pm

Philippe wrote:Hi Shoz

I had the same symptons with the large(20 l) fuel tank of my Z1R.
When the engine was hot and the fueltank recieved heat there was a certain pressure inside that allowed me to keep driving. After refueling it took a while to heat up the new fuel. Untill that moment the engine spluttered and it didn't rev up...
You'll have to dismount the fuelcap and disassemble it .
There are two screws on the underside, unscrew them but take care there's a spring under, don't loose it.
Then you can disassemble the inside completely. Mind the disassemblyorder of the parts and how they fit together.
When the inside is disassembled you can clean the vent duct and the little vent holes.
After cleaning, reassemble and enjoy!!
GrtZ
Philippe

Thanks Philippe, I've cleared the blockage (easy enough job as you described) now running sweetly :D

Shoz
Regular Poster

#6 PostAuthor: Shoz » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:13 pm

zed1015 wrote:Does sound like a blocked vent but to be sure go for a ride with a brim full tank then when the spluttering starts open the cap and if there's a hiss and the spluttering subsides it's the vent..

Yep, thats what i did and how I discovered it :D Now cleared :D

Return to “Bike Help”