Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Anybody know where I can get my bikes BHP measured in the Cambridge area?

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Shed20a
Regular Poster

Anybody know where I can get my bikes BHP measured in the Cambridge area?

#1 PostAuthor: Shed20a » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:41 pm

Good evening all,

I've had a couple of engine mods done to my Z1B, which I've notified to Footman James for my insurance renewal, but they won't give me a quote for renewal unless I can tell them what the increase in BHP is...

I stupidly assumed that there would be a table of standard modifications that they could use to bump up the premium, the way it's done for penalty points, but it doesn't seem to work like that.

I now need to find a rolling road to measure the increase in my bikes BHP, so if anybody could recommend a bike shop in the Cambridgeshire or Suffolk area that has a rolling road it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Stuart
Work to ride, ride to work...

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Anybody know where I can get my bikes BHP measured in the Cambridge area?

#2 PostAuthor: z1bman » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:26 pm

Shed20a
Regular Poster

#3 PostAuthor: Shed20a » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:38 pm

Hi z1bman,

I didn't even know this place existed. I need to get out more...

Many thanks,

Stuart

Ratty

#4 PostAuthor: Ratty » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:51 am

Next time they quote me I will ask if I get a discount for all the lost power on my worn out old nails, should think many bikes are down on their "new" quoted power! :lol:

Shed20a
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: Shed20a » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:38 pm

Same as penalty points... I shed a few from time to time, but it never seems to bring my premium down...

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:08 am

Unless it's glaringly obvious chassis and suspension mods etc that will get picked up on the valuation photos or when a stolen bike is recovered id not tell them anything.
Just another excuse to screw money out of you for mods that don't affect the handling and won't stop some idiot knocking you off.
On another note Footman James don't like any mods at all and I dumped them years ago.
Now use Peter James who was the "James" part of the aformentioned Footman James and they don't ask daft questions.
All they wanted to know about my highly modified Alloy Cafe was the list of mods (which included a near race spec motor), some pics and what i valued it at and they came back with a £96 fully comp all singing all dancing policy and a no claims discount included which Footman didn't on their classic policy..

Shed20a
Regular Poster

#7 PostAuthor: Shed20a » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:51 pm

Hi zed1015,

Thanks for the tip about Peter James. I'll give them a buzz tomorrow and post back here how I get on.

Cheers,

Stuart

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:35 am

zed1015 wrote:Unless it's glaringly obvious chassis and suspension mods etc that will get picked up on the valuation photos or when a stolen bike is recovered id not tell them anything.
Just another excuse to screw money out of you for mods that don't affect the handling and won't stop some idiot knocking you off.
On another note Footman James don't like any mods at all and I dumped them years ago.
Now use Peter James who was the "James" part of the aformentioned Footman James and they don't ask daft questions.
All they wanted to know about my highly modified Alloy Cafe was the list of mods (which included a near race spec motor), some pics and what i valued it at and they came back with a £96 fully comp all singing all dancing policy and a no claims discount included which Footman didn't on their classic policy..

+1 Peter James

Very friendly they don't mind modified motorcycles, just be upfront with all modifications and make sure they are all put on the policy.
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

Shed20a
Regular Poster

#9 PostAuthor: Shed20a » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:35 pm

Hi all,

I phoned Peter James this afternoon for a quote, listing all the engine mods, and it only came to 4 quid more than Footman James quoted me for last year without any mods! :D

No need for a rolling road now thankfully (thanks for the info though z1bman). All I have to do is upload the couple of photos I took this afternoon and post off the cheque.

Thanks for the advice guys, this really is a great club for getting help.

Cheers,

Stuart

Return to “Bike Help”