Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Exhaust refurb

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

damien.wrl
100Club
100Club

Exhaust refurb

#1 PostAuthor: damien.wrl » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:37 pm

Hiya , I have the original stamped cans on my A1 and I am looking into getting them rejuvenated, atm the pipes are all quite good however the cans although looking good from the top have slight pitting and some rust around the drainage holes and the seam at the far end, I know it won’t be cheap (second hand systems are not cheap or common either) but is it feasible to get them repaired and re chromed? Anyone had it done or has recommendations

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Exhaust refurb

#2 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:49 pm

As I'm sure many will confirm, original cans were made of Tin Foil and any weld type repairs can prove difficult. Then you've got to find someone who'll re-chrome them as many places won't touch exhausts, and even those that do will want the baffles removed which isn't really an option.

It's such a shame that no one as yet is making Thou Replica's as there clearly is a demand now.

Oh, and nice Bike. :D
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: z1bman » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:08 pm

its a big gamble repairing & re chroming 40 year old exhausts the problem is although the metal may look good from the outside it could be only thousands of an inch thick in places & the process involved in removing the old chrome & the cleaning process is corrosive & as soon as the exhaust gets condensation through starting up or just sitting in a garage the chemicals used for cleaning them will be re activated & before long you will end up back to square one with big holes in your pocket. two stroke exhausts are different as they don't rot due to the amount of two stroke oil protecting them from any internal condensation or corrosion after they have been chromed

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:08 pm

Good advice,i would leave alone,its opening a can of worms,been there got the T shirt...
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

chrisw1
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: chrisw1 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:16 pm

Leave well alone is my advice ...I lost a nice set of H2 pipes to the chrome bath

DogsbolloxofZ1B
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: DogsbolloxofZ1B » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:17 pm

Totally agree with the advice given. There is one company I know
and used several times to restore pipes and that is SilvaBronz.
I recently had a stock set for an A1 chromed £850, they were off an A1 that had only done 1.8miles from new so just cosmetic pitting. They will do repairs but as others say might be best to leave well alone.

Return to “Bike Help”